A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Manga-fabric dress and flowery sweater  (Read 5291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LetterGhost
« on: November 17, 2007 03:49:11 PM »

Hello all, I am so excited about teaching myself to sew. I've had my mom's sewing machine on long-term loan for a while but I only just figured out a few weeks ago why it wasn't working for me (didn't know the presser foot lever existed. Seriously. Roll Eyes) But I've just been zooming along since then! So far I am restricting myself to stretchy fabrics because it seems way easier.

I'm a big fan of comics of all sorts, so I was super excited to find this cool Japanese T-shirt second-hand (I actually exclaimed, "Yoink!!" out loud as I grabbed it in the store). The shirt was too big for me, and I badly wanted it to be a dress. I took two other shirts that I never wore and threw this together. I'm so proud that it actually fits me, even more proud that it actually looks cool.

(I'm not photogenic but, since I personally prefer to see Craftsters enjoying their crafts, I'm sucking it up...)

(I'm wearing a long sleeve Tee under it. And apparently something unsettling is happening just off to my left. So bad at posing.)

Here's my half-mannequin Elizabeth wearing it. It looks better on her because she's, like, 36-20-34 with a 7-inch neck.

(And that's one of my helper-cats, the "good" helper who likes to curl up quietly on a pile of scraps and sleep beside the sewing machine.)

Close-up of awesome fabric. Little kids versus biker gang, apparently.

(That's the "bad" helper who likes to wrestle with clothes that I'm trying to pin and run off with the measuring tape. So cute though.)

This sweater is a combination of two Value Village items--the pink top I loved, but it was a bit too snug (it's a child's shirt.) The brown sweater was way too big.

On me

On the floor.

I didn't actually sew in the zipper, I just cut that whole strip off the other sweater.

Sorry about the ridiculously long post, can you tell I'm just super excited about sewing? It's so much easier to make clothes than I thought it would be!! Now, I just have to learn to read patterns...

thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goofipinay
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007 04:30:31 PM »

I love the first one =]
It's great

the first thing I noticed is that your hair matched xD
but anyway, I like how it looks with the long sleeves underneath
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somethingamazingbyvanessa
I'm easily amused and easily confused.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 04:36:09 PM »

for being new at sewing, you did an amazing job. Smiley I especially love the jacket. So smart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astica
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007 04:43:34 PM »

"Here's my half-mannequin Elizabeth wearing it."
Oh yeah! Cheesy
(That's my name too >< but thankfully I'm not quite as disproportionate)

And I so love the second one - especially the pink bit! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julianapegas
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007 04:48:05 PM »

God!!! I love the fabric *_*
By the way, this manga is called Dr. Slump, and is by Akira Toriyama. Try to read it if you can, it's really funny =]

I liked your solution for the pink and brown shirt... I think I'm going to copy this someday XD
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007 04:48:22 PM by julianapegas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
LetterGhost
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007 05:29:33 PM »

thanks for the kind comments!!! Juliana, thanks for letting me know which manga the fabric is from! I thought that it looked a lot like Dragon Ball but I figured it was just another artist ripping off the style....shows what I know. I don't keep up with manga as much as I used to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007 06:34:25 PM »

Very cool - keep on sewing, as I would love to see more of your stuff! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
cocomoo
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007 09:02:40 PM »

you have no idea what i would do for a manga dress. what kind of comics do you read? heart it all by the way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LetterGhost
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007 11:11:14 AM »

thank you! Yeah, that manga shirt was definitely my best thrift find! I also just found a gigantic old Ranma 1/2 T-shirt (yay!) that I bought years ago but stopped wearing because it's massive, so I'll be making myself another geeky dress soon-ish (also have a Wolverine T-shirt, oh and a Batman T, in my Value Village stash... I'm such a nerd). Cocomoo, I read all kinds of comics, though I haven't read many Japanese comics lately aside from Yoshihiro Tatsumi's, and I really only read superheroes when I'm feeling nostalgic. My fave type of comics are the Fantagraphics, Top Shelf, Pantheon, and Drawn & Quarterly graphic novels (favourite books are definitely Craig Thompson's Blankets, David B's Epileptic, and anything by Daniel Clowes.) I'm also working on my own graphic novel, to be put online soon, so keep an eye out for a link in my signature Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julianapegas
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007 06:25:27 PM »

thanks for the kind comments!!! Juliana, thanks for letting me know which manga the fabric is from! I thought that it looked a lot like Dragon Ball but I figured it was just another artist ripping off the style....shows what I know. I don't keep up with manga as much as I used to.
Haha, it's normal to think that if you didn't know the series... rip-offs happen very often =P
Recently, a friend showed me a manga (and it wasn't even fan art!) that I could swear it was drawn by the same guy that draws One Piece >.<

I'm curious about the Ranma 1/2 dress =D

And good luck with your graphic novel ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Bead - Brick Stitch
Learn how to Bead - Peyote Stitch
Learn how to Bead - Introduction to Stitching
Learn how to Bead - Learn how to Make a Simple Pair of Earrings
Learn How to Bead - Stringing Knots Between Beads
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...