A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled bag selling help!  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fortunesfoe
« on: January 16, 2008 07:35:14 AM »

Hello!

I'm asking this on behalf of my uncle who is filipino.  His family have a large area of land bordering their house out in the Philappines and in the past year they've had problems with squatters living on this land.

My uncle doesn't want to kick these people off his land as they've got nowhere else to go but he doesn't want them there indefinately.  So he's trying to start up a learning centre on this land where they can go to use books and computers and to act as a base for them to start looking for jobs.

Several of these people keep themselves fed by making bags from recycled paper and selling them on the streets.  My uncle wants to encourage them to do this on a larger scale and is looking for places in this country, both bricks-and-mortar shops and online sites that will commission a number of these bags.  I've posted some photos of these bags at the bottom of this post.

I didn't put this in the 'Crafting for good not evil' section because these people aren't a charity, they want to work and support themselves and my uncle is hoping he can provide the means by which they can do that. 

So my question to you guys is, where should he start looking for places to sell these bags?  Do any of you know of any online craft shops that might be interested in buying say 50 or 100 of them to see how they sell?  He's approached Oxfam and Fairtrade so hopefully one of them will take to it as well but in the meantime I said I'd spread feelers in the online crafting community to see if there's any interest there! 

Also, what prices would you suggest?  Apparently each bag only costs between 2 and 4 to make but the costs of shipping them across to this country would bring this to somewhere around 15 per bag.  My uncle doesn't want to make any profit on these for himself, he just wants to cover his costs as he'll be paying for them to be shipped over here.  He's looking into getting companies to sponser crates that will be packed in this country with books and old computers, sent out there and then return full of these bags for selling.  Does anyone know of any businesses that might be interested sponsering a crate?

So if 15 per bag would be on covering costs, would it be unreasonable to charge between 20 and 30 per bag, depending on the size obviously? 

Here are the photos, see what you guys think!  Any advice or feedback would be most gratefully received!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008 07:40:58 AM by Fortunesfoe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008 12:14:55 PM »

There are a few companies doing just what your uncle is doing - but his examples look meticulously done.  They are fabulous!

Try looking at:
http://www.thelatesttrend.com/cgi-bin/trend/results.html?searchfield=category%20prod_group&searchspec1=Eco%20Friendly%20Bags&searchspec2=Handbags%20%26%20Things

If that is not working, just go to www.thelatesttrend. com and look at the bags made out of woven recycled magazines.  They are selling from about $25 to over $100.

I think your uncle should indeed encourage making a profit on these!  They are very popular right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fortunesfoe
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008 12:20:18 PM »

Ooo, thanks so much for that link, I'll pass it on! 

I think for the moment he just wants to see if he can get this project off the ground but from what you say about their popularity, it looks like he might have quite the little business venture on his hands! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Sushi Expert Mamie Nishide
Sushi Etiquette Tips
Ginger Guide for Sushi
How to Make Nigiri Sushi
How to Make Yellowtail Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...