A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! i need a tree topper to match...  (Read 1151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

autommatic
« on: November 17, 2007 09:35:14 AM »

ok this year i've decided to go a non-tradditional route and decorate my tree in hot pink and lime green/bright green coloured objects (ie: balls, bows, garland, etc). the only problem is- no one sells stars in that colour. ive looked everywhere so far, and im not having any luck.

the other problem im having is that my significant other insists that tree toppers are supposed to light up. [and although i somewhat agree, i am not overly concerned with this..] and soo...

my question is this- does anyone know how i could make a tree topper to match my theme, maybe lights up, and isnt going to be a fire hazzard?

i welcome any ideas, people! im pretty open to suggestion. Tongue
thanks in advance!
♥xo♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007 09:50:12 AM »

I have just the thing for you!  I made a tree topper last year using one of those 1 pound bag of buttons, some wire, and a 6 bulb string of lights (I'm sure you could use minilights, it might be safer, even.  Here's what I came up with.

You build yourself an armature (this is the hardest part) with some heavier gauge wire, a little thinner than coathanger wire.  I used stem wire for florists, but it was kind of annoying because it was already cut into lengths.  It would probably be easier use a roll of wire.  Oh! remember to make a loop to hang it on the tree with!

Then you use really thin wire to attatch the buttons or whatever other little bits to the front.  For a lime green/pink tree, I would use little plastic toys, earrings, enameled broaches, et cetera.  Our tree is always a mishmash of all the ornaments we have ever accumulated, so there are lots of different colours, which is why I used the buttons.

To finish off, thread the lights into the back.  If I were to do it again, I'd use minilights instead of the bigger glass bulbs, just for safety's sake. I know you can get some really good LED ones now that hardly heat up, and they come in all sorts of colours.

My star was inspired by this one:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=137863.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
burstandbloom
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 09:52:14 AM »

you could always buy on of those star ones and just paint it to be whatever color you'd like....and then if you really needed it to light up, you could get some of that sealant stuff that makes things fireproof and then get one of those single strands of lights and decorate it.

other than that though, i dont really have any ideas. i'd have to actually see the tree with it's decorations to know what would go really well with it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Tiny_viking
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007 03:00:27 PM »

Sorry for the highjack but :

DANCEDUPAPILLION! YOU BLOODY ROCK! I adore your star! Stars AND buttons! my to favorite things! May i grovel at your feet please?Cheesy  Cheesy

Beanie xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007 03:50:57 PM »

Sorry for the highjack but :

DANCEDUPAPILLION! YOU BLOODY ROCK! I adore your star! Stars AND buttons! my to favorite things! May i grovel at your feet please?Cheesy  Cheesy

Beanie xxx

Better yet, make one and show me the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
autommatic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 09:05:47 AM »

ohman.. thats the greatest star ever! i ♥ you for being fabulous. lol

... now to find a whole wack of pink and green junk so i can make my own! lol thanks sooo much for sharing your idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladymare

Do Your Ears Hang Low?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007 12:36:33 PM »

on ebay they sell rustic tree topper stars that light up...

You could always purchase one of those and spray paint with pink/ green or both...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Should Cameras Be Banned at Weddings?
Marriage Proposal Traffic Jam May Lead to Jail Time
زواج سامنثا
Website Offers To Pay Couples To Get Married
Is Wedding Planning Driving You Crazy?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Cake Stands
February 3, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: 3-D Heart Card

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...