A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for first project  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flipflopsgirl21
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007 11:22:39 AM »

i recently learned to do the basic knitting and i tried crocheting over the weekend - it was so hard! i have the s&b book but i don't know what i was doing wrong... my rows were not even at all and getting twisted and i think i was crocheting too tightly, so i gave up... please tell me it gets easier :-(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Infinite Annie
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007 12:16:21 PM »

Oh, it really does get easier flipflopsgirl21!!!  I don't have high-speed internet, but if you do, I've heard that there are some really good video sites that might help you to 'see' how it's done.  Maybe, someone here can suggest one.

Also, maybe try using a bigger hook than the yarn calls for, to help keep things loose while you figure out the stitches.

Anyways, I hope you'll tough it through the rough beginning phase where it all seems so awkward, because then you will end up in the rewarding mile-a-minute phase!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flipflopsgirl21
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007 12:23:58 PM »

Anyways, I hope you'll tough it through the rough beginning phase where it all seems so awkward, because then you will end up in the rewarding mile-a-minute phase!

I know! I keep hearing that crochet is faster than knitting, so that's why I wanted to try... plus my mom & grandma used to crochet so that's cool... I don't live near them anymore but I'll see them for thanksgiving so maybe they'll be able to show me a thing or two  Cheesy  Thanks for the encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gemcraft
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007 12:50:47 PM »

Thanks for the bunny link (O:
And I will try and get started soon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Infinite Annie
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007 04:16:51 PM »

I know! I keep hearing that crochet is faster than knitting, so that's why I wanted to try... plus my mom & grandma used to crochet so that's cool... I don't live near them anymore but I'll see them for thanksgiving so maybe they'll be able to show me a thing or two  Cheesy  Thanks for the encouragement!
[/quote]

Oh, that would be perfect!  There's just nothing like seeing someone doing it live and in person.  Let us know how it goes and if you need any more help, be sure to ask!

Lot's o' luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
obailey
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007 09:41:40 PM »

Hello, I'm teaching myself how to crochet, so far so good.  I had the most trouble getting the starting knot going  Roll Eyes then I ran into the trouble of picking a very beautiful dark gray yarn to work with.

I just wanted to let you know that http://www.nexstitch.com/index.html videos helped me so much.  I did try to use the lion brand yarn site, but the drawing were to "simple" for me.

Good luck!  I have no idea what my first project will be.

xoxo
ka
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaylefrancisdesigns
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007 08:49:58 AM »

Potholders!  Get some worsted weight yarn [lily's Sugar and Cream does wonders], make a rectangle that's twice as long as it is wide [say, 25 stitches across by 50 rows down], fold it it half, slip stitch the edges closed and viola, a potholder!

It's slightly more advanced than a scarf and finishes up a bit more quickly.  Plus, you can show it off any time you're pulling something out of the oven.  "This?  Oh, that's just a potholder I made.  And this is a delicious foodstuff I also made!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
How to Craft Shriveled Halloween Heads
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...