A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A good travel tote?  (Read 2363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 16, 2007 09:57:57 AM »

Hello everyone!

My husband and I have a lot of traveling to do over the next few months, and I want to take a craft along!  I've decided to take some embroidery and sewing projects!  It seems like a craft that will travel well.

I only have one problem...  I need a better way to carry my things around.  I'm going to take a box of threads, like this:

Several pairs of scissors, thimbles, bobbin winder, extra threads and plastic bobbin cards, needles, ruler, patterns, things to actually sew on, and a few other small things.

What would be a good craft tote to use for this?  DMC has several that look like they would work, except they won't carry my box of threads.  (Leaving some of them at home is not an option; they must all go with me! LOL)

The DMC Tote Bag looks like it might work, but I can't find one at the craft stores to look at and see what it really looks like.  I was thinking I could just slide the box inside.

We're going to be traveling by car, so it doesn't have to meet any airline codes or regulations or anything like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Valentine Goodies Now Available on my Site!

bdeetieboutique.blogspot.com  Come Visit my Blog!!
Vala Queen of TMI

I'm kinda nuts but really sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007 11:31:49 AM »

My threads are on holders like that too but I have them on big metal rings, like keychains for thread.  You could throw those in any bag.  I got the rings at Joann's in the embroidery section.  You'd probably need 2 for that many threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007 11:48:14 AM »

Actually, the DMC totes and bags and such are not very good quality! I bought one (messenger style) and the second time I unzipped it, the metal part of the zipper zipped right off. Also, the little compartment zippers fell off in no flat. They are rather cheaply made!

I'd suggest just a regular good-sized tote bag. If you can't find one you like at Target or somewhere like that (a decorative one), then why not try the plain canvas type bags you can get at craft stores? Then, if you got bored, you could embellish your own tote bag!

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007 12:39:56 PM »

have you thought about making your own? .. that way you could customize it to how ever you want.. to fit whatever you want...

just a thought Cheesy

I do personal swaps!
Vala Queen of TMI

I'm kinda nuts but really sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 02:39:50 PM »

Also what's the dimensions on the box?  I specifically asked for tackle boxes for my birthday and the ones I got have slide out storage boxes that fit some ones I already had.  Take that puppy right to the store and try to shove it in some boxes.  My step-daughter each got me one from Wallyworld.  One like this and a bigger one. 

Tackle boxes, 10 times cheaper than "craft" boxes and yet just as effective.  Tongue

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007 02:49:26 PM »

How about a laptop/notebook backpack - they are designed to carry a flat boxy shaped thing (like your floss box) and there are loads out there with good additional storage and convenient pockets/cubbies for all the little extra bits, oh and on some you can pull out the extra padding they put in there to protect the computer.

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Targus-CVR600-Groove-Notebook-Backpack/dp/B0001H27PS/
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007 03:51:30 PM »

Wow!  So many good ideas!  Now I have to decide which one to use!  LOL

I would love to actually sew my own tote bag, with little pockets and stuff, but I'm not that good with my sewing machine yet.  I would've done that a long time ago if I had the hang of it better!

And yes...  I love tackle boxes!  They're so cheap, and they come in sooo many different sizes!

I may look at Target - they DO have the cutest totes and things.  And I already have a plain one that I got to decorate a long time ago from Oriental Trading.  That's a good idea to just decorate that with embroidery, too on the trips!  You guys are so smart! Smiley

TreeCactus - Thank you so much for the heads up on the DMC totes!  I'll mark those off my list now!  That's really too bad; they look so neat!

Now I have a laptop tote/case thingie.  I may try that for right now.  They do have a lot of little pockets and zippers!

Thanks again so much guys!  This has been really helpful!

Valentine Goodies Now Available on my Site!

bdeetieboutique.blogspot.com  Come Visit my Blog!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007 08:54:52 PM »

couldn't you just use one of those canvas tote bags for everything?  they make 'em big enough for boxes like that (i think) and then you could even make a crafting project out of it to make it spiffy and craft supply specific.  i typically just put all my threads in color sorted ziplock bags (i.e. greens in one, blues in another) and then all the separated color bags go into a bigger ziplock.  nice and compact.  then the rest of my stuff gets tucked in the folds of whatever project i'm toting along. 

i was on a business trip last week and brought a couple projects with me (didn't get anything done unfortunately) but i had folded the fabric into the ring i had for my bigger project and inside the folds were my scissors and other necessaries.

"The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty" ~The Cruxshadows
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007 06:01:43 AM »

i have two travel totes that I use.
One is a canvas tool bag, my dad gave me one and it is great for car trips.
my second is an old picnic basket it has a wood top so it is like a little table if i need it, plus it holds a LOT! i take it to my mom's, friends and such.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous

Roller derby is the best cult EVER!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007 09:59:08 AM »

you could just send me all those pretty threads and not have to worry about lugging them around, droooooool pretty threads.

Also known as Scourge of Quad

Would love to do a personal swap for a Zecora!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Little Big Town
How to Make a Ramen Burger
Five & Dine: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
How to Make a Zesty Texas-Style Pot Roast
Roasting Duck at the Partisan
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...