A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,780
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: viva la deutschland? [[some obesity in the pic department, here]]  (Read 3234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 15, 2007 10:54:14 PM »

hi all!  so this is it...my first embroidery post.  i can't truthfully say this is my first attempt at embroidery, but basically, my second.  i am embroidering the obligatory onesies for my girlfriend's first born but since i haven't finished making them yet, i'll hold off until that happens to post. 

anyway, my family (my sister-in-law, to be precise) makes a family quilt every year.  the s.i.l sends everyone a plain cotton square and gives us a theme and tells us to get to work.  i always procrastinate (i'm in school full time and work full time, and have a full time boyfriend, so my free time is usually spent sleeping) and this year was no different.  fortunately, i lit a fire under myself and busted this puppy out in time and according to her, i'm not last.  woohoo for the procrastination gene!!  i'm sure there are goofs in there and i know there are a couple obvious ones, but i was strapped for time and hell...no one else in my family embroiders, so they'll probably never notice.  the bottom line is i'm proud and wanted to share. 

background on this quilt:
the theme this year is "places".  i was an exchange student in germany, specifically bayreuth, so while i really wanted to do "heaven" as my quilt square, it was easier for me to just be very obvious about my choice and pick something off a map (i am a geography major, after all).  sooo, here it is...

what WOULD willie do?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 11:05:54 PM »

WOW!!! Nice work! So, who gets the finished quit each year? That's an awesome idea. I would love to have a crafty/creative family!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007 08:47:23 AM »

Awesome! I love your stitches - very neat and clean. You did a great job! I need to make a pillow of where I live and the places I've been. Thanks for the inspiration.

Yeah, who does gets the quilt every year?   Huh
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007 10:30:27 AM »

thanks gals!  i totally love it and i hope i get the quilt this year.  speaking of which....we have a raffle each year and the lucky recipient gets to keep the quilt forever.  my cousin won last year so he gets to draw the name this year.  i'm gonna slip him a 20.  Smiley

it's really fun and even the family members who aren't artistic get into it

i'm glad my stitches are neat and clean.  i know i'm a beginner but i'm pretty anal about things, so i tried to make it as nice as possible.

bratygrl1, i'm impressed that i inspired you.  i'd love to see what you end up making.  i think a quilt (though i don't know how to quilt) of all the places i've been would be awesome and so personal.  i just think of all the trips i have taken as a kid with my family and up until now at 30 years old.  it would be a beautiful quilt and a lot of fun to recall all those memories.  Smiley  so now i return the favor...thank YOU for the inspiration.  (when i get out of school.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007 02:01:57 PM by k8thagr8 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 11:50:14 AM »

Excellent job on the stitches and the overall design! Very nice.  Smiley

Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007 01:34:29 PM »

Your stitches look great. Good job.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007 02:04:55 PM »

thank you thank you!  Smiley  i designed the layout and freehanded everything but the map...sorta.  i couldn't find one the right size, so in one of my atlases, i just traced the outline and then kept drawing around that outline until it was the size i was after.  i hope it's remotely accurate.  ha!  so glad you all think my stitches are good.  yay!  thanks again!!

what WOULD willie do?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007 04:49:19 PM »

This is awesome! Great job! I can't believe this is your 2nd attempt at embroidery. I especially like the flag and the cup. What a fun idea for a family Xmas present!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007 09:35:48 PM »

wow, thanks lily...!  i'm totally digging the positive feedback on this.  it's not the most beautiful design (some of the stuff i see you all posting is just gorgeous and sooooo creative!) and obviously personal, but hearing back from you guys that i just might have some skills is making me want to come up with more projects.  Smiley

what WOULD willie do?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007 11:39:50 PM »

This is amazing! I'm trying to learn to embroider, my first attempt was crap, I can't imagine that my second would be as wonderful as yours!
I also liked your idea of doing heaven as a square... Great work!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Arianna Huffington Talks About Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
Allegra Huston Talks About Love Child
Kathi Appelt Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Heather Henson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...