A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: As if! Handpainted temporary tattoos  (Read 1063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewidarity

Nobody knows the tribbles I've sewn...

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007 08:45:07 PM »

For Halloween I painted my arms with Totally Tattoo temporary ink - worked pretty good when applied with a small brush. Decorating your own arms is not going to be very precise, but this worked well enough given that the Halloween party had dim light, and that the juxtaposition of me with body art is blindingly hilarious to anyone who knows me (I don't have what it takes to commit to the real thing!).

As you can see in this variegated tattoo, the overlapping scallop pattern worked best (the cross hatching, not so much). Also good: patterns with glob-y shapes, so accidental globs can be incorporated.

(me pretending that I have muscles to go with my pretend tattoos)

The fine print: I prepped the area with rubbing alcohol, as instructed, and the images lasted through the shower 2-3 days; after that, they started to look kinda ostrich-skin and worn. Removing them with rubbing alcohol was a pain in the butt, especially after they had sat for a couple days.

I got the ink from Dharma Trading, which also suggested buying  a stencil tool and cutting your own stencils. Being a sucker for crafting tools, I did try that, but didn't get all that great results yet. First off, that tool gets HOT - sliced through the vinyl like a knife through butter, but I was worried that if I used it long it would ignite the paper image I put under the vinyl for tracing purposes. (I first peeled the vinyl off the backing, then put it on wax paper so I could see the image I wanted to trace underneath). When I put the stencil on my arm, it worked fine once, but afterwards gave completely blobby & smeared images. So I just went with the paintbrush for Halloween, which gives you more connected-line possibilities anyway.

P.S. With a fine-tipped little squeeze bottle, the brown ink could probably be an ok ersatz henna - not nearly as long-lasting as real mendhi, but faster-drying.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 01:23:20 PM by sewidarity - Reason: (with p.s.) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dammit, Jim, I'm a crafter, not a photographer!
bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 08:52:07 PM »

That's`so cool!!  I've been looking at the airbrush body paints and hennas, trying to find one that I can deal with...

Much more fun than`a permanent thing for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007 07:08:41 PM »

Ubercool body art!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Funky Hairstyle and Night Evening Makeup Makeover
Bob Hairstyle and Smokey Eyes Makeover
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Natural Glossy Hair Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...