A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fabric for hand embroirdered patch  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2007 08:36:51 PM »

what kind of fabric would work best for a patch.
I want to put it on a jacket if that helps any.
would felt, if so wool or synthetic?
cotton, canvas?
i have never done a patch so i don't know.
any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
southerlywind
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007 11:50:42 AM »

Hey, I'm new to embroidery (though I've done a good bit of sewing) and I want to make some sew-on patches for my girlfriend for Christmas.  What are some good fabrics to start with?  Should I press the edges under (and is it possible to do that on a circular or oval patch) or just leave them be?  I've got the actual stitches for the image down, I think, it's just the mechanics of attaching the patches to clothing/bags that I'm confused about.  Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007 11:53:00 AM »

Well, this is my view: If you go with felt, go with wool felt. It's sturdier than craft (acrylic) felt. If you're going to use cotton, something like a cotton duck has good body and is sturdy. The nice thing about working patches on felt instead, though, is that, when doing satin stitch and other fillings, you have the "body" of the felt to help hold the stitches in place well.

Some drawbacks to wool felt might be availability and color - you may not be able to pick up any wool felt easily at a local fabric store, without having to order it. And if they do have it, the color selection may not be suitable for your patch, unless you are planning to cover the whole thing entirely with threads, so that the felt itself isn't seen.

Anyway, technically, I think you could use practically any fabric, but if I were doing it, I'd probably stick with wool felt. If I wanted to use cotton, I'd use duck cloth - although it's not the easiest stuff in the world to stitch on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007 11:55:27 AM »

Hm. I just answered a similar question in another thread. Personally, I'd use wool felt, and as for the edges, I'd work all around them in a close overcast stitch (that is, just sewing around and around the edge, placing the stitches very close together to make a finished edge). Alternately, you could use a close buttonhole, which would reinforce the outside edge.

To attach, I'd sew through the patch with nylon thread, right inside the reinforced edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brazil Flag Nail Art Tutorial
Easy Makeup Tricks for Summer
Seven Days of Makeup Looks with Beauty Blogger Nicole Marie
How to Master the Basic Manicure
OMG With RJS: Birchbox May 2014 Unboxing!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...