A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All Glam, No Bird: Vegan Boa (with tutorial!)  (Read 1589 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2007 10:12:54 PM »

When I made this scarf, I was trying to mimic a feather boa, in knitting form.  It uses a combination of three different styles of yarn to try and accomplish this.  The super-bulky helps to give the scarf the fluffiness of a really nice boa, the eyelash creates a more feathery texture, and the crochet thread allows me to string paillettes into the work (which are mostly to add more glam.)

Materials:
-Red Heart Bright & Lofty -- I used two skeins, one in a hot pink and the other in a sort of mint green.

-Neon pink crochet thread -- I don't actually remember the brand.  It's sort of a nylon affair from Hobby Lobby

-Neon pink eyelash yarn - Again, I don't remember exactly what kind it was, but it's sort of a frizzly business from... maybe Hobby Lobby?

-Size 11 knitting needles

- 1-2 bags of holographic paillettes (Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart.  They're like little plastic/foil discs with sparkle on them, and a hole at the top so you can string them on thread.  It's probably $2-3 for a bag with a few hundred.)

Directions:

***This can be a little tricky, because working with three yarns, there's a tendency for them to get wrapped around each other and snarled up.  It really helps before you start to re-roll the yarns into tighter balls and then put each one into a yogurt carton with a hole punched in the lid where the yarn can run out.  This way, they can't get too tangled up or roll away from you when you're working.  The exception is the crochet thread, because it's already tightly wrapped around a cone.***

First, I strung a whole package of paillettes onto the crochet cord.  This is the most tedious bit.

Next, I cast on a row of nine stitches, holding all three pink yarns together.

To knit the rest of the scarf, I used a strategy similar to this one: ie, "* K1 but do not drop st from left needle, bring yarn between needles to front of work, take it twice around left thumb and back between needles, k same st and allow st to drop off left needle, lift first st over second st and off right needle; rep from * to end. "

However, instead of alternating between loop rows and purl rows, I would knit a loop row, then do two rows of garter stitch, followed by another loop row.  The combined yarns were so bulky that it seemed like if I made any more loops, the thing would be so huge it could never be worn (not to mention weighing a ton!). 

Every couple of loops, I'd randomly pull up a paillette and catch it in a loop.  This takes a little practice, but I think it's actually easier on a project like this than it probably would be on something where the stitches are tighter. 

After about a foot of working in the pink, I switched from pink to green Bright & Lofty, but carried the other yarns along.  I worked about four inches in green before switching back.

***If you run out of paillettes (which is unlikely - I kind of overshot when I was stringing them on), you can always just break the crochet thread, string on more, and then tie it back on as though you were joining a new piece of yarn to change colors or something.***

Comments:
When I picked the color scheme, I was thinking a lot of pink lawn flamingos and those stucco birthday-cake-looking houses from the 1950s. And Muppets, of course.  For some reason, these are far more recurring themes in my artwork than anyone would probably imagine...

Now, though, I'm thinking of adding on to the scarf, with additional colors.  Next, I would do an equal amount of work in blue and orange, and then the same in purple and yellow.  At that point, I'd have the most insanely long, festive, bird-free boa ever.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007 01:58:57 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
wttgill
welcome ...........

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 11:34:59 PM »

Roll Eyes  i love this !  totally ott, but i still want one !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippy rock goth mad chick........Smiley
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 11:37:24 PM »

OTT?  Over the top?  I think that's the idea.  Like I said, flamingos and muppets Smiley
You should totally make one and tell me what you think.  Maybe it would help me come up with a clearer pattern.

[I'm also something of a "hippie rock goth mad chick", btw... but add "industrial" somewhere in there]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007 11:39:01 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007 10:07:05 AM »

Love the OTT boa! (no boa should be under the top. Unless it's under the Big Top!)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 11:16:37 AM »

no boa should be under the top. Unless it's under the Big Top!
Haha I have to agree! I'm sort of wondering how a boa would pull off under-the-top, actually - would that be like, a scraggly grey boa like a rat's tail, with four feathers left dangling haphazardly from it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Exfoliating Rice Face Mask
Age Defying Oatmeal Treatments and Diet Tips
Top 5 Drugstore Foundations
Sephora to Launch Beauty Social Media Site
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...