A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafts project + photos + camera  (Read 838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floatingmoon
« on: November 14, 2007 09:46:29 PM »

Well, I want to buy an "automatic" digital camera. I heard that now there are some auto digi cam that can also do "details close up" of objects like SLR camera can do. So is there any auto digi cam with such function?

Also, best if they have stability function. Coz I often shake the camera a bit, when I press the "shot" button. I heard some auto digi cam have stability function too.

I am not very skillful in technology, so would be great if the camera is user friendly.

Please suggest a camera. thank you !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 04:14:41 AM »

As far as the "details close up" function, look for a camera with a "macro" function (it looks like a little flower on lots of cameras).

I'm not very up to date on smaller digital cameras with stability and what not as of recent, so hopefully someone else will weigh-in on this one for ya.  I'm a Canon 20D girl. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007 11:21:51 AM »

I just started working in a camera shop Cheesy

Pretty much any digital compact camera (compact is the 'correct' word for the "automatic" cameras to which you refer) will have a macro mode these days - it's more unusual to find one without it than with! Past a certain point, it becomes more about how you take the picture than how good your camera is. Basically, be sure to take the photos in bright daylight (though not necessarily direct sunlight) and use a mini tripod to hold the camera steady - this is probably more effective than built-in anti-shake in the camera!

If you really want brand recommendations, when a customer asks for an easy-to-use digital compact I point them at the Pentax Optio range (the L40 is nice) or the Olympus X-820, which is small, slim and pretty as well as being easy to use! Both of them have macro functions and the various automatic modes are so self-explanatory that you could almost use the camera without reading the instruction manual at all (though I DO NOT recommend doing this!). Both models also have anti-shake, though I still suggest using a tripod if you have wobbly camera hands.

No, I don't get paid for selling specific brands - I just really like these two for ease of use! I actually use Fuji cameras myself, but I think they are harder to get the hang of than either of the models I mentioned, particularly the newer models.

Only thing is that both of these are over £100 (UK sterling) - you didn't say how much you had to spend! If you want cheaper, you do have to compromise on function a bit, though you should still be able to get a camera with macro for less than that.

[/essay]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007 11:26:37 AM by talyra - Reason: price! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007 06:14:58 PM »

I point them at the Pentax Optio range (the L40 is nice) or the Olympus X-820, which is small, slim and pretty as well as being easy to use! Both of them have macro functions and the various automatic modes are so self-explanatory that you could almost use the camera without reading the instruction manual at all

My first digital camera was a hand me down from my brother...my brother the professional ad guy >< I never mastered it, my hubby uses it.

I actually bought the Olympus she mantioned : ) back in June. I LOVE it! I don't often use my mini tripod, but then again I have a pretty steady hand from learning to take pictures with an old manual SLR, that and I photograph my children candidly quite often.

One thing about it that was a major selling point for me is it a little bit tougher physically than many comperable cameras- the all metal housing makes it Weather Resistant (not Proof, but a damp day doesn't mean doom) and a bit more shock proof than many that have plastic housings. I wanted to (and do) carry it with me all the time in my purse, it's withstood the beating pretty well so far.

This camera is quick enough to catch a busy two year old at play : ) (ok, I'm showing off, but dangit! my nephew is CUTE!) No filters, cropping or other manipulation besides sizing down for postability.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007 06:25:32 PM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 07:23:06 PM »

I have a very inexpensive Samsung s630 that seems to work okay for me. I have a neuromuscular thang which causes me to be a little shaky at times (no, it's not caused by margaritas Wink ) and it has an anti-shake component(the camera has the component, not my body Smiley ). The camera is about $100.00 at Wal-Mart. You'll need to by lithium batteries and charger,too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
starburn
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 10:19:32 AM »

My camera just died, and I'm having a really hard time choosing a new one.  So I thought, well, what do I do with my camera?  Take pictures of my crafts of course!  So I'm asking you fine folks who use your cameras for the same thing for help. I have a few questions

1.  what kind of camera do you have
2. How much do you think you have to spend for an ok camera (nothing super fancy, just takes pictures and doesn't stop working Smiley)
3.  What are the most important features for a craftster to look for?

If this isn't crafty enough, or if it's already been answered, in the wrong place, just let me know!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new knitting blog!
http://davinshow.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 10:32:33 AM »

I'm guessing you're looking for a digital camera, but if not, please ignore my post. Cheesy

1.  I have a Canon 20D and before that I had a Canon Rebel XT.  You don't need to spend nearly that much money to get good photos of craft projects, though.

2.  We just bought my little sister a Canon PowerShot A720 IS for Christmas.  It's a good piece of equipment for general portraits, everyday use and small projects.  We bought it from Newegg.com for $200 shipped with a charger & card included.

3.  Macro function (it's the "little flower" setting on lots of cameras) is always good for those detailed crafty shots. Smiley  Web publishing doesn't require much resolution, but it's always a plus for nice photos.

PS/edit - I'm totally a Canon girl, so I can't give you much advice outside of Canon equipment ...just being honest! Cheesy

I'm sure there are already some threads about this, so I'm going to search them out & merge if possible. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007 10:33:36 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007 10:35:31 AM »

Merging similar topics! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starburn
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007 10:37:42 AM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new knitting blog!
http://davinshow.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007 10:38:54 AM »

You're welcome!  I hope you find something you really like.  Please post back when you decide... I'm curious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Importing and Working with Smart Objects
Extreme Website Makeover - Working with Rasterized Illustrator® Files
Extreme Website Makeover - Managing Assets and Working with Layer Groups
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Mock-up Navigation Buttons
Extreme Website Makeover - Preparing a Web Page Mock-up in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...