A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,318
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newsboy Help  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Frosted
« on: November 14, 2007 08:42:51 PM »

Can anyone tell me where the larger size needles that are listed (I think it is 10.5) are used. In looking over the pattern, I only find where it says to use the smaller size, and so I am confused. I know this is simple, but I am feeling like a dork because I can not find it and do not want to go buy the needles until I know that I need them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emily
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007 08:51:26 AM »

I'm not looking at the pattern at the moment, but I did just finish one of these last week.

I'm not sure if I actually switched needles, but I think you knit an inch of ribbing and then as you switch to knitting the body of the hat, that's where you switch needles? 

You don't have to use the larger needles if you don't have them, your finished product will be less slouchy as a result, the fabric will be tighter, it'll be more like a beanie--close fitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Credu.Afon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008 10:00:26 AM »

I can't say for sure for this pattern but some patterns have to cast on with the larger needles and then switch to the smaller needles so that way the cast on stitch isn't so tight...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the franz
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008 04:23:03 PM »

You change to the 10.5 circs after the inch in K1P1 ribbing  and before increasing to accommodate the cable pattern.  I made this hat about 2? years ago so I had to look at the pattern again.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohmymetro
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008 09:38:16 PM »

since there's already a thread on this project, maybe someone could help me out.
i don't really know anyone that knits that can come to my house, or even explain this to me on the phone, but i need help making the brim.

i think i understand most of it.
here's my interpretation
pick up 7 stitches before and after the join, purl a row.
knot, make one, put a marker etc etc...

but what does the SM stand for?
the actual pattern says
K to marker, m1, sm, k10, sm, m1, k to end, pick up 2 stitches from hat cast on edge.

i'm assuming it means slip marker or slide marker or move the marker, but i just want someone to clarify that one for me.
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the franz
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008 05:20:52 AM »

Your assumption is correct, SM does mean "slip marker".  You just simply move the marker from your left needle to the right needle.  The markers are just there so that you will continue to make the increases at the correct spots and don't have to count every stitch.  I may have oversimplified, but I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohmymetro
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008 07:42:50 AM »

Your assumption is correct, SM does mean "slip marker".  You just simply move the marker from your left needle to the right needle.  The markers are just there so that you will continue to make the increases at the correct spots and don't have to count every stitch.  I may have oversimplified, but I hope this helps!

no that's exactly what i needed.
thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 2
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 1
How to Cook Somen Noodles
How to Make Healthy Shirataki Noodles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...