A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circle skirt - help!!!  (Read 1015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DivastarMirna
« on: November 14, 2007 01:52:07 PM »

Hi everybody, i totally need help, i am making my own dress to go to my cousin's wedding, so i have a question i am making a dress like these ones:
http://www.dresses.com/pictures/1138a.jpg
http://www.bestpromdresses.com/shop/prodimages/s03035.jpg.jpg

I have already started working on the bodice, i made the pattern for it (the bodice i mean).
I have a question n the skirt how do i make it look full? Do i have to add the tulle(cuz i want to make the dress without the tulle), or do i have do make the waist big and gather it(is that necessery cuz in those links it looks like the skirt is gathered), i tried to make a circle skirt before but it doesn't look full or at least like the examples there. so i need help please? Huh

By the way, i am a sewing beginner, and i used this tutorial to make the first circle skirts.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=12439.0

Please, please, please help i only have 3 weeks.  Undecided
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007 01:58:46 PM by DivastarMirna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
girlndocs
God knows I'm all about funny little niches

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 04:12:27 PM »

Circle skirts are fairly full and flared, but depending on the fabric you use they may not stand crisply away from your body -- petticoats could be needed for that or it could be as little as a ruffle of netting sewn inside the hem of the skirt to give the hem a little body.

There are also stiffening tapes available -- I think they're still called "horsehair" although they stopped having horsehair in them a long time ago. You sew them into the hem. You could ask at your fabric store about that. Another option might be to line or interface the skirt with a stiffer fabric.

Yes, you could gather the skirt to make it fuller. This will tend to add bulk around the waist and hipline but if you start with a circle skirt type pattern it shouldn't be as noticeable. You make a circle skirt but you cut it to have a waist twice as large as your finished waist should be, and then gather it into a waistband or bodice.

The pink dress in your link looks to me like either a circle skirt with no gathering and stiff netting/tulle underneath for some body, or a double circle skirt which is simply a variant of the circle skirt -- you cut two circle skirts each with a waistline half as big as yours, and then splice 'em together. I don't think that one is gathered.

It's harder to see with the green/blue one, but that could be a circle skirt under there or a gored, gathered skirt.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://herebirdiebirdie.etsy.com vintage and vintage-inspired aprons, skirts and accessories
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 06:01:55 PM »

They look like they have used more than a circle skirt's worth of fabric - so as per the poster above you'd have to use two and then gather them in together to give you the amount of fabric that you need.

Also - generally a skirt will not flare out unless you stick something underneath it - a gathered petticoat or tulle, net etc.  Unless the fabric is very stiff (like taffeta) but even then you may not get the look you want without something underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007 11:27:39 PM »

Thanks 4 the answers, i am using satin fr my dress and this really soft fabric for lining. the thing is i cant find black tulle. Another thing is that  in the pink dress it looks like the tulle is only at the bottom of the skirt, can i only put the tulle on the bottom and will it add volume???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
stripey_cat
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 07:28:16 AM »

I think even in the pink dress, there is some tulle up over her hips, and there is certainly something holding her skirt out away from her thighs.  Unless you're using a very stiff duchesse, satin will need a lot of support (ie net petticoat, or hoops, not just a ruffle on the hem)

If you don't want a sharp spring over your hips, you can cut the tulle similarly to your dress, so that you start adding fullness somewhere around the top of your thigh.  You may find that this needs something more to hold the underskirt out lower down your legs (you want, from those pictures, a fairly triangular silhoutte, not a bell-shape).  If it starts to cling in towards your knees, run a heavily-gathered tulle flounce around on the inside of your main layer of tulle (if it's on the outside of the petticoat it can make a visible ridge under your dress).  Don't cut the flounce to the hem-length just yet...   Keep twiddling with the placement of the flouce(s) on your petticoat until you get the right shape. 

Then, sew everything down for good, and cut another skirt-piece (possibly slightly narrower than the tulle/outer dress) in a lining fabric to sew into the petticoat waistband with the tulle - you need lining to protect your legs, or you'll be as itchy as heck and you'll ladder your tights.  (I used muslin for a fancy-dress costume, and the tulle was a bit uncomfortable through that - go for a tighter weave if you can.)

If you want a lace trim like the pink dress has, trim up the outermost layer of tulle the depth of your lace, and sew the lace on as a tier (gather as much or as little as you like).  Then trim the underlayers of tulle so that you can see the lace, but it still stands out and doesn't hang limply.

Best of luck - this is a big undertaking, but you seem to have started in good time, and if you've got the bodice under control you've done the tricky bit - skirts are time to have fun!

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007 02:10:58 PM »

I think even in the pink dress, there is some tulle up over her hips, and there is certainly something holding her skirt out away from her thighs.  Unless you're using a very stiff duchesse, satin will need a lot of support (ie net petticoat, or hoops, not just a ruffle on the hem)

If you don't want a sharp spring over your hips, you can cut the tulle similarly to your dress, so that you start adding fullness somewhere around the top of your thigh.  You may find that this needs something more to hold the underskirt out lower down your legs (you want, from those pictures, a fairly triangular silhoutte, not a bell-shape).  If it starts to cling in towards your knees, run a heavily-gathered tulle flounce around on the inside of your main layer of tulle (if it's on the outside of the petticoat it can make a visible ridge under your dress).  Don't cut the flounce to the hem-length just yet...   Keep twiddling with the placement of the flouce(s) on your petticoat until you get the right shape. 

Then, sew everything down for good, and cut another skirt-piece (possibly slightly narrower than the tulle/outer dress) in a lining fabric to sew into the petticoat waistband with the tulle - you need lining to protect your legs, or you'll be as itchy as heck and you'll ladder your tights.  (I used muslin for a fancy-dress costume, and the tulle was a bit uncomfortable through that - go for a tighter weave if you can.)

If you want a lace trim like the pink dress has, trim up the outermost layer of tulle the depth of your lace, and sew the lace on as a tier (gather as much or as little as you like).  Then trim the underlayers of tulle so that you can see the lace, but it still stands out and doesn't hang limply.

Best of luck - this is a big undertaking, but you seem to have started in good time, and if you've got the bodice under control you've done the tricky bit - skirts are time to have fun!

K.

Thanks fr the tips really helpfull, i going to try to find tulle somewhere. but now i have an even bigger question. i have 3m of fabric, is that enough for the skirt? bcuz the height is large but the width is smaller than the height so i am having trouble with using that tutorial i said i was using to make the circle skirt.

sorry for the crappy english(here we speak portuguese everyday), and the many questions.

Thanks

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007 06:40:12 PM »

3 meters for the whole dress? probably, but it'll be close. the smaller your waist & shorter the length the more likely it is that your fabric will go as far as you hope : )
I'm guessing you will use close to 1 yard/ meter for your bodice (even strapless, cutting it correctly takes up a lot), that leaves two left for your skirt. If you are hoping for just-at-the-knee, right on, ankle or mid calf? probably won't be as full as you are hoping for, unless you are very, very short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007 01:25:49 AM »

3 meters for the whole dress? probably, but it'll be close. the smaller your waist & shorter the length the more likely it is that your fabric will go as far as you hope : )
I'm guessing you will use close to 1 yard/ meter for your bodice (even strapless, cutting it correctly takes up a lot), that leaves two left for your skirt. If you are hoping for just-at-the-knee, right on, ankle or mid calf? probably won't be as full as you are hoping for, unless you are very, very short.

No i have 3 yards for the skirt, i had 4, used 1 for the bodice, i am almost done with it. I am just worrried about the skirt.
Thanks for the answering! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007 06:00:19 PM »

oh! much better! you should be pretty good then unless you wanted it super full : ) and neither picture looked that way to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angry Macaroni and Cheese and No-Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Cups Recipes
How to Make Porter Ale Chili
How to Make Cracker Jack Ice Cream
How to Make an Elevated Waffle Taco With a Gourmet Twist
Kurt Warner’s Turkey Burger Sliders
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...