A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nuno Felting for Sewing-I want this jacket!  (Read 2742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SlickMariaVic
« on: November 09, 2007 03:42:24 AM »

Sorry for the vague subject line! So I was reading a book that discussed Nuno felting, and from the finished product they made a cape and skirt. I was flipping through a Vogue Sewing Magazine *I don't really sew very often* and found a model wearing this coat http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V8307.jpg and fell in love. The coat is great and the stiffness of the fabric looks like it may work well for this technique. My question is would you guys recommend that I just felt a large sheet and cut my pieces out of that? I really love the look of the raw netting edge, so could I just cut a piece of fabric out 1/3 or so larger than the finished product to account for shrinking, just for say the collar? I've never used this technique before so any advice would be very apreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
stripey_cat
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 06:12:04 AM »

I think it ought to work (not sure about the amount of shrinkage - maybe make a test piece?).  The woven layer should help ensure that the felt doesn't bag with wear (if you think it might, then work all the felt pieces with a woven interlining to stop it stretching).  That said, how experienced are you at sewing?  That coat doesn't look like a simple pattern, and Vogue's instructions aren't always the clearest.

Will you post pictures if you go ahead - the end result ought to be stunning.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 04:31:02 PM »

I have had some experience sewing, but it is by *no* means my forte! According to the booklet I think it is considered a relatively easy pattern. I haven't actually purchased it however, and before I do I tend to read through the instructions to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I just have never made nuno/laminated felt so I don't know what it feels like or its drape, so I wanted to make sure it would be doable. I'm assuming it will end up similar to denim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Nean
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007 05:21:43 PM »

Depends what you use as your base fabric and how thick you make it. Nuno felt is usually done with thin layers to make a gauze like or thinnish layer. I recommend you make some small test pieces first. Also, really look at the amount of yardage you will need to make the coat. You are signing up to make several yards of felt here. Perhaps you could make a plain felt for all of the coat except the collar and then make the outer edges of the collar with the exposed fabric edge. Or even make the coat of 'storebought' felt and embellish with nuno/ do the collar of nuno felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 03:17:32 AM »

Very true, and the collar is such a large focal point people probably wont be too concerned with the body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007 01:33:02 PM »

I would felt a flat piece and then cut the pattern. In my experience, shrinkage depends on so many things and occures sometimes very quicly by fulling ! You could easily get too small parts if you cut them before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Swimwear for Plus-Size Women
Best Bathing Suits for Women Built Like Kim Kardashian
How to Pick the Right Swimsuit Cover-Up for Your Body Type
How to Wear Your Red Jeans with Style
Scottish Fashion Is Back in Brouge
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...