A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super-easy heirloom tree skirt (lots-o-pics)  (Read 8461 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas , tree_skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2007 08:24:39 AM »

Years ago, I saw a picture in one of those holiday magazines where a family stamped each member's hands onto a large sheet of paper in the shape of a Christmas tree.  The picture was then matted and framed, and oh-so-lovely hanging on the wall. 

Not being the type that changes out the pictures I hang on the wall to fit the season/holiday (I have 7 kiddos... enough said), I came up with a practical, yet deeply sentimental way to commemorate each passing year with my family.  I seriously doubt I am the first to do this, so this is just my take on it.

(I apologize for the wrinkles, but they don't really bother me. Wink)
You can use any plain tree skirt, purchased or handmade.  I made mine from white muslin (hence the wrinkles) for the top, leftover batting for the padding, and leftover scrap fabric for the bottom.  Heavy felt with some trim would even work great for this!

For the hands, we trace each member's hand onto a sheet of paper, and then cut them out.  Using the paper hand, I then cut each hand from holiday-themed or colored fabric and each hand from some fusible web.  Then I just iron each hand onto the tree skirt.

I outlined each hand with gel paint stuff to prevent the edges of the hands from raveling.  I hate that paint... as you can see.... it's so blobby.  I think machine satin stitch embroidery would be amazing on these, but I lack those skills.   Sad  Also, a turned-under applique would be very nice if you have the time.  For the year shown above, I embroidered each person's name and the year on each hand.

For the above year, I simply wrote the names, year and outline with the paint.  Much faster and easier, especially with a new baby in the house!   **Tip for tracing a baby's hand (or foot): wait until they're sleeping!!!

I try to make each year's outline/paint colors different.  This past year, all the hands on the skirt are touching.  It was a difficult year for all of us, and we really held each other up and worked together to get through the tough times.

The options are limitless -- use felt, fleece, vintage fabrics, fabric cut from the past year's outgrown clothing.  I let the kids choose their own fabric for their hands each year.  Trace hands OR feet.... the kids want to do feet this year.  I was thinking that once we fill this side up, we may fill the other side with feet tracings.  All I can say is that it is so amazing for me to see how much the kids have grown each year, and they love seeing their growth, too.  I hope you try this for your families... and if you do, please post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 08:33:03 AM »

I love this idea! I don't have any kids, but I still want to do this. Any luck tracing a pets foot? Maybe Ill hold my cat down and trace around her whole body XD just kidding. I love the sentimentality of this! Ill definitely have to keep it in mind over the next few years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 08:37:26 AM »

What a beautiful idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
ryv1079
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007 08:45:50 AM »

I LOVE this idea!! This is going to be stashed in my "For future use" file!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007 08:47:26 AM »

I love this idea! I don't have any kids, but I still want to do this. Any luck tracing a pets foot? Maybe Ill hold my cat down and trace around her whole body XD just kidding. I love the sentimentality of this! Ill definitely have to keep it in mind over the next few years.
LOL!  I wish I'd thought of that while my cat was alive.   Sad  You could get your pet's foot wet, have them step on a piece of paper, and quickly trace the wet footprint....?

Thanks for the compliments.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DesignerDucky
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007 09:30:17 AM »

So nice! I think this will be such a good memory for when they are older.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\\\\\\\"Some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some people refuse to settle for anything less...than butterflies. ~~Carrie Bradshaw; Sex and the City
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007 09:53:53 AM »

Oh my goodness!  I adore this idea!  I am absolutely going to have to start this tradition this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007 09:57:11 AM »

This is so pretty and such a good way to commemorate your Christmases as a family! I'm almost more impressed, though, by the fact that you have time to craft with 7 kids around.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007 10:00:35 AM »

I'm adding to the chorus about what a fabulous idea this is AND the amazement that you can do it with 7 kids!  I love the feet on the reverse side idea, too.  I have the sneaking suspicion that you're going to have to make another tree skirt waaaaay before before that new baby is out of the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 4
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007 10:02:35 AM »

This is so pretty and such a good way to commemorate your Christmases as a family! I'm almost more impressed, though, by the fact that you have time to craft with 7 kids around.  Wink
It's my sanity-saver.  Wink  Plus, all of my kids are crafty, so they usually join in, or work on their own projects at the same time.  It's not so bad. Smiley

TheMistressT, you're right.  I was just thinking the same thing!  Maybe even more than 1 more skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 29/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 30/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 20/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 24/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 19/35
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...