A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The duplicate stitch and my sanity  (Read 363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nel83
« on: November 14, 2007 05:39:29 AM »

Ok, I am pretty much about to go crazy. A while ago, I decided to knit a Mets jersey. I got some yummy Cascade 220, figured out a pattern and got my knit on. I began with the back, which, even though it included intarsia AND double-sided fair isle, went ok. Then I made the front and that was where the horror started. At first, I thought I could use the double-sided fair isle method again, but after having knit almost the whole Mets Logo, I noticed that with four colors, the whole thing had become too thick. So I frogged. And reknit, this time with intarsia, which didn't work out so well, either, because I had dozens of little, different-colored fields. So I frogged again (by this point I was ALMOST ready to give up). Then I reknit using intarsia for the main part of the logo (blue), thinking that I could duplicate stitch the white and orange at the end. So stupid stupid stupid me went ahead & sewed the two parts together, weaved in all ends and duplicated stitched the night away. Now it's blocking & I hate it. The main color was black, so the white duplicated sts look ugly, because the dark kind of shows through. Oh, who am I kidding, it shows through a lot. Now the whole friggin sweater fits nicely & looks great, except for the 9" high and 12" wide logo on the front. That looks as it a not very talented 5th grader had knit it. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhrgs!
What should I do? Is there any way to save it? Frog it? I know that I won't wear it the way it looks now, so it'd be a waste of yarn....
HELP!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help! My Stash is trying to eat me!
sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 09:22:37 AM »

Is this too obvious?  Why don't you just duplicate stitch again over the white?  I'd give it a try at least.  I mean .... after all that work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
eatyerhartout
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 05:34:00 PM »

Is this too obvious?  Why don't you just duplicate stitch again over the white?  I'd give it a try at least.  I mean .... after all that work!!!

This is what I was thinking, too. Leave in what you already have, just duplicate-stitch the white again to make the white more noticeable. Theoretically, it should work, but I can't guarantee it. Give it a try at least. It would be a shame to have to undo the seams and frog it all over again.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
nel83
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007 06:04:22 PM »

I tried & now it is too thick. I need some space before I frog it...it will spend some time in the closet. Thank you, though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help! My Stash is trying to eat me!
elijor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 05:46:34 AM »

One more suggestion before you ban the thing altogether.

If the doubled up duplicate stitch makes the white parts too thick compared to the rest of the sweater maybe you could duplicate stitch all of the logo section, even the background blue part. The entire logo would then be "raised" and it would look like it was meant to emphasis the logo.

If it looks good you can let everyone think you were just the most clever designer - no one here will let the cat out of the bag  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmdm
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007 07:24:57 AM »

What does the logo look like? It the white parts are large enough, maybe you could applique' them on with white wool felt? I've seen lots of sweaters with felt applique's on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Cream Puff Trifle Recipe
Apricot-Pistachio Biscotti Recipe
Brandy Apple Pie Filling Recipe
Baked Apples with Meringue Topping Recipe
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...