A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted thermal underwear?  (Read 1246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JoHunter
« on: November 14, 2007 01:13:18 AM »

My husband and I go out on the motorcycle a lot throughout the year.  I'm finding that even really expensive thermals don't seem to be half as warm as me just wearing my handknit wool sweaters.  I'm thinking that thermal underwear knit from merino wool would be perfect for them cold winter days biking or even walking.  Has anyone tried this?  And are there any patterns (particularly for thermal pants) out there that would work?  I'm thinking if I knit Knitty's Thermal but more form fitting with a crew neck would be great.  I'd be great to hear some more ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 02:18:28 AM »

Can you borrow Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top? There are patterns for what you need. She has a pattern for thermal bottoms (it's just tubes for legs, increasing over the thighs, meeting the crotch). The lady from knitpicks did a pair on her blog. You could have a butchers.

I wonder if you'd be better off having a merino/tencel mix. So that the merino doesn't wear out from various abraiding (like on the thighs, backs of knees, etc). You'd probably be better off doing stuff in fingering weight as well, the finer gauge would last longer, and be less unobstructive under your clothing.

You need to invest in some luscious sock yarn, me thinks.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallencupid
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007 10:42:17 AM »

What about some really tall socks?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTverytallsocks.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007 02:30:27 PM »

Elizabeth Zimmermann has a pattern for leggings in The Opinionated Knitter.  If your library doesn't have it, you might be able to get the individual pattern at www.schoolhousepres s.com (usually $1 USD + shipping).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007 02:31:11 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007 05:49:56 AM »

I wonder if you'd be better off having a merino/tencel mix. So that the merino doesn't wear out from various abraiding (like on the thighs, backs of knees, etc).

Something with a silk blend would be great also. Silk has wonderful thermal qualities. If you don't get around to knitting your own you might look for silk or silk-blend thermals to purchase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007 09:00:20 AM »

I wonder if you'd be better off having a merino/tencel mix. So that the merino doesn't wear out from various abraiding (like on the thighs, backs of knees, etc).

Something with a silk blend would be great also. Silk has wonderful thermal qualities. If you don't get around to knitting your own you might look for silk or silk-blend thermals to purchase.

Wool and silk blends are the YUMMO! But the silk in the wool/silk blends can pill ever so easily. Which is why fine gauge would be best.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit_north
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007 10:14:49 AM »

have you seen these?! http://www.flickr.com/photos/12785085@N05/1551948317
not mine - but knit from EZ pattern

living in the way up north i'd suggest merino -  go for a blend if you like but i don't think you need to - I have 100% wool longjohns and love them! I also have silk thermals but don't find them warm enough (but as I said before I live in the Canadian North)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jints
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007 12:27:54 PM »

what about these? Could modify in front, adding buttons or something?
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=103&d_id=23&lang=en
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007 12:29:15 PM by Jints » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007 03:37:07 PM »

I saw where a poster on another board is knitting herself a silk camisole to wear under sweaters. And the EZ leggings look like they'd be great, but yeah, you might want to get a wool blend for longer wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
sherry71
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007 06:45:50 PM »

I agree about the EZ pattern.  I have that book & as soon as I saw it, I put it on my to do list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...