A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for travel food?  (Read 1311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emsy
« on: November 13, 2007 08:34:05 PM »

My friend and I are going on a trip and will be travelling ALL DAY. As we are hoping to keep our expenses minimal we were hoping you guys would have some great ideas for food for us to take with us.

It needs to:
Be able to last all day
Taste YUMMM
And preferrably not be tooooo hard to make.... or expensive LOL.

We do eat meat, but we also LOVE vegetarian food. Veges, tofu, lentils, etc. All good.

Thanks heaps Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 06:42:05 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spacecat888
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007 08:49:44 PM »

Burritos/wraps are my favorite car food, because everything can be self-contained in the tortilla!  As long as you don't load them with anything very drippy, they'll work a treat... for instance:
Chorizo and scrambled eggs with cheese... in a burrito
chicken caesar salad (with dressing-- it's thick enough)... in a burrito
Indian peas/potatoes curry... in a burrito
fried potatoes with onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc... in a--

you get the picture Wink

As long as you either eat the perishable wraps first (i.e. anything with eggs or mayo) the others will keep if they're wrapped in foil and kept out of the sun.

Have fun, and have a safe trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emsy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007 08:56:53 PM »

Haha, yeah wraps ARE pretty tasty. It's her, me and her older sister (17, 18, 20), so we are planning on having a little picnic on the bus haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cardigan
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008 04:37:21 AM »

Im going to bump this.
Im the friend mentioned and we are going in like two weeks, (man, we started planning early!) we will be preparing the food the night before as we have to get up to leave at about 5am or something crazy.
Burritos/wraps are a good idea, question, what is chorizo??
We will probably also make some sushi but I dont know what else!
This has to be our food for pretty much the whole day, so we need lots of different stuff, that is easy to package, able to eat cold (though we may be able to heat SOME stuff up and eat it that night) etc etc

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am sorry for being a bad, rude swapper. i am sorry to all the partners i flaked on, and all the feelings i hurt. i feel really guilty, my life is messed up right now and i got greedy and selfish. i didnt think about anything but getting nice things. i am so sorry everyone. i'll be leaving now.
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 10:11:53 PM »

its not (normally) a meal- but trail mix is my favorite thing ever (i went through so much of it this last semester...)  you can put anything you want in it, but i like it simple... peanuts, raisins and M&MS!  you can add other fruits or nuts if you like.  my conditioning teacher said this was her favorite "stoping at the convienience store" snack, but making a big batch is so much cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cardigan
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008 10:16:07 PM »

Hey thats sounds like a good idea!
I loved that stuff growing up.
=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am sorry for being a bad, rude swapper. i am sorry to all the partners i flaked on, and all the feelings i hurt. i feel really guilty, my life is messed up right now and i got greedy and selfish. i didnt think about anything but getting nice things. i am so sorry everyone. i'll be leaving now.
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008 10:00:37 AM »

Baby carrots and hummus travel pretty well and can make a good snack between lunch and dinner. 
Will you have a cooler?  You could also bring some cheese, those baby belle ones wrapped in wax travel really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008 12:13:42 PM »

Chorizo is a type of bulk sausage--it looks like hamburger, and it usually comes on plastic trays or in "chubs", which are squishy plastic tube-things.  When you cook in a skillet, it falls apart as you stir it.  Do NOT buy a super cheap/low quality chorizo, because the REALLY cheap stuff turns into a nasty mushy half-liquid mess.
(Sorry if someone explained this already)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008 12:35:32 PM »

Chorizo more specifically is a latino sausage so lots of yummy spices. 

My hubby and I like to eat healthy which can be tough when we travel  and we have been traveling quite a bit as of late.  Airport food is horrible and overpriced ($80 lunch in Schipol Airport  Shocked ).  But I have come up with some fantastic foods for travel.

Oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries and apricots -  They are yummy and the oats are filling which is helpful. 

Trail mix - granola - Again oats, dried fruit and nuts.  This is a great food because, as someone mentioned, previously you can add candy and whatever else your heart desires.

Sandwich/Wraps - These have already been suggested but I'd like to provide some valuable input.  I would pack the stuffing separate from the bread/wrap.  Nothing is worse than a soggy sandwich or wrap.  It is hell to eat.  So assemble it during the trip......not always easy but worth it for something that doesn't have the texture of wet paper towels.

Pasta Salad - This is one of my fav foods to pack.  I use medium shells, broccoli, artichokes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peas, red bell pepper and whatever else I feel like that day.  Then I sprinkle a little powdered italian dressing and add oil and vinegar.  This travels very well.

Croissants - Travel is meant to be relaxing and nothing relaxes me more than tasty bread.  So for some trips I pick up a few croissants to enjoy with tea.  They are also great for sandwiches. 

Hope this helps.

boo     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008 03:55:42 PM »

Wraps
DEF the pasta(or rice) salad too... I like to add diced ham or chicken, frozen peas, diced carrots, cubed cheese. italin dressing.

String cheese travles well.

Also those yogurt tubes (or make you own in snack size zip lock bags)  freeze them. so they stay nice & cold.

Baby carrots with peanut or other nut butter.

corn muffins with dried cranberries & cherries.  or Cheddar & chili powder.

a big bag of gummy bears. ... I don't know why, but i always want gummy bears when i drive a long distance!

a bag of small apples, & pears.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chatting With Comedian Jazz Mann
How to Package a Letter with an Inflatable Die
Country Band Rascal Flatts Interview
The Evolution of the Flash Mobs
Learn to Play A Diminished on Guitar
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...