A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you make a spellbook?!  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kateh

I can't seem to peel my eyes off of Craftster...

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2007 06:53:40 PM »

Soooo, this will be my first Christmas with my boyfriend. He is really into NERO (New England Roleplaying Organization--www.nerolarp.com). He plays a knight and he 'casts' spells in game. He has dropped hints about wanting me to use my scrapbooking/papercrafting skills to make an authentic, medieval, beautiful spellbook for him. He already has the book itself (a nice, burgundy leather bound book with wire adornment on the front cover). He just wants me to 'decorate' the pages and write the spells in it. I think I will either attempt some simple calligraphy to write out the spells, but I am kind of at a loss as to what to do to the pages to make them look old, magical, etc. Does anyone know where I can find free medieval images to work from? Are there any ways I can age paper that is already bound in a book? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks, craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't repliKate!
amethystrain
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007 10:29:58 AM »

Hey,
I'm not sure about ageing pages that are already in a book. But I'm betting there's some kind of paint or stain (maybe wood stain?) wash you could do over them.

Something I thought of when I read your post was this website http://www.brahmsbookworks.com/
They sell spell books. You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the different kinds. I like the Section Title pages. It kinda reminds me of the illuminated manuscripts of old books, you know?

Not sure if this helps. But good luck!!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007 10:32:03 AM by amethystrain » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahoy_matey
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 02:16:38 PM »

for imagery I'd say use a lot of celtic and druid knots, and a really ornate font.

&& what kind of paper is in the book? really thick stuff or thinner like what's in a bible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kateh

I can't seem to peel my eyes off of Craftster...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007 01:16:24 PM »

thanks for the responses so far  Grin
as for the paper quality it is definately heavier than the pages found even in most novels...it's a heavy journal paper. tempted to say almost brown paper bag-ish. it is lined however...which i think takes away from the 'old world' feel i want to create. have tried crumpling the edges and distress inking over it...don't know how i feel about that effect. i might scan it tomorrow and see what y'all think of it.
love the knot suggestion! i imagine those would be easy enough to find on the net, right?
still looking for some good spots to find free dragon/medieval/knight imagery...
thanks again!
kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't repliKate!
ahoy_matey
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007 10:36:53 AM »

as for distressing the pages, you could burn the edges... then each page would have a unique shape and probably look super cool when the book is closed. as far as staining the pages I'm gonna say tea is your best bet (dark stuff, like Earl Grey, not herbal). you may not be able to get it as dark as possible since you can't submerge the whole page... I would just brew up the tea and kind of dab/wipe it on one of the pages, let it dry, and go from there. it would kind of suck to have to do each page and wait for it to dry Undecided but these are the things we do for love, right? lol.

you probably can find each image individually (dragon, coat of arms, sword/shield, etc) even if you can't find one site with everything... good luck! let us know how it goes!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007 04:09:15 PM »

I'd use a wide paintbrush and lightly coat each page (with wax paper or soemthing similar, like a used sticker sheet) in between to keep it form bleeding through and sticking.

If you do it lightly, there's less chance of the paper swelling and making the book impossible to close, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Hair Setting Lotion
How to Use Aloe Vera on Your Hair
How to Do 1940s Hairstyles
How to Use Hair Rods
How to Untangle Matted Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...