A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool  (Read 798 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

socomfyhere
« on: December 26, 2004 04:06:54 PM »

I was wondering about this wool.  See, it is pretty cheap and very nice feeling, so I thought it would be great for felting.  However, it has the 'natural lanolin oils' still in it.  Would the smell be washed out in the felting process?  Also, can I kool-aid dye something and then felt it, or should I felt then dye?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mew
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004 11:28:30 PM »

I can't figure out if you want to keep the lanolin/wooly smell or not, from the way your post is worded...
The fulling process (heat + some detergent of sorts + agitation) because of the detergent that many people say make the process easier, will remove the lanolin from the wool. However, if you want the lanolin to still be there, you can wash the fulled object afterwards in Eucalan, or some other lanolin containing wash. I've read in a few places that some people just put a teaspoon of Lansinoh into the wash water.

About the kool-aid dye, I haven't tried it myself, but I've just heard of people winding the LB Fisherman's wool into hanks, dying those, then rewinding them into usable balls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005 09:50:05 AM »

I used this wool on a felted bag I made for a gift and had super results. The bag was absolutely gorgeous. Post-felting, it smelled like regular wool when it dried. I did find, however, that the addition of lanolin didn't end up drying my hands out like Brown Sheep Co. wool does. I bet this stuff dyes up great, too. G'luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ab615
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005 02:18:29 PM »

I've used this yarn for felting for 2 diffrent projects and they turned out beautiful. I made the candy stripers bag from SnBN,which I dyed with Kool Aid first and I just finished my first pair of Knitty's Fuzzy feet. With the Fuzzy Feet, I dyed them after I felted them. It actually turned out good. The smell goes away(I kinda think it smells grossm, especially with needles in my hand and itching my nose,alittle too close for me!). I actually just smelled my foot beacuse I have my Fuzzy feet on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
socomfyhere
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005 08:12:56 PM »

hehe why thank you everyone for the info...I'm glad that the smell goes away--I've been wanting to felt something but landscapes is way too expensive for me and the only yarns I really have access to are lion brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The Fight to Make a Movie
Sherry Lansing: A Third Chapter
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...