A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Pattern - but no seam allowances  (Read 652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

absenceofcolour
« on: November 12, 2007 09:58:49 PM »

Hi, I found a lovely quilt pattern, but it warned that it was just a 'suggestion' picture of the final image, and seam allowances were not taken into consideration.

Essentially, everything is made from a square cut into fourths, so you have 4 equal right triangles. When sewn together, the squares need to be 4" on each side.

I'm fairly new to quilting, and horrible at geometry. Can anybody tell me how big I need to cut my squares so that after I quarter them and then sew a 1/4" seam, the completed pieced squares will be 4"?

I hope this isn't that confusing, I don't have access to a scanner to get the picture on here, unfortunately. Your help is greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roobee
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007 12:59:32 AM »

To end up with a four inch square cut them four and one half square to begin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007 06:38:08 AM »

I'm horrible at math myself.  I'm a very visual person.  I've found that if I draw the pattern out on graph paper first, I don't run into any measurement issues.  I draw it out without the seam allowances. Usually having each square on the paper to be a quarter inch usually works well for me.  You'll figure out what works best for you and the particular design you are working on. Then I write down the different pieces' measurements for each color and type.  Sort of like a key on a map.  Then I add my seam allowances those measurements.  I actually write out the math so I know that I've added the seam allowances to all sides of the block. 

Just remember where ever there is a seam you add a quarter inch.

ps. are you wanting to make a block that is 4 inches, and that block is composed of 4 smaller squares?  If so your smaller squares should be 2.5 x 2.5 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 08:23:04 AM »

Is this your block?  I printed this from EQ6, and it says you need to start with a 5-1/4 square to end up with a 4" block.  Definitely test one out first to see, though!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 08:24:47 AM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007 09:13:06 AM »

If in doubt, cut the squares a little bigger than you think you need, and trim to size.  It's a trick I picked up from Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
KyTriplets
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007 06:43:05 PM »

If in doubt, cut the squares a little bigger than you think you need, and trim to size.  It's a trick I picked up from Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame.

GREAT tip!!  Then you KNOW it is right.  Eleanor makes things so simple, 'ya know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007 08:09:12 PM »

Yes, I am quoting myself.  I should have stated that you trim to size after sewing the block.  Ooops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
absenceofcolour
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007 09:00:13 PM »

Yes, SewHelpMe, that is exactly the block I'm trying to make. I'll use some scrap fabric and test it out. I overbought fabric, just to make sure I had enough. I never waste it, anyway!

Thank you all for your help and replies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007 02:58:31 PM »

that is exactly the block I'm trying to make

One more thing...  (somebody correct me if this is wrong):  that pattern is called quarter square triangles; the calculation is finished block size + 1-1/4" (so EQ6 was right!).  And, just an FYI:  the calculation for half square triangles is finished block size + 7/8". 

Post a block and let us know how you're doing.  I've tried blocks like this before, and got frustrated with the bias edges.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
How to Add Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...