A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Pattern - but no seam allowances  (Read 587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

absenceofcolour
« on: November 12, 2007 09:58:49 PM »

Hi, I found a lovely quilt pattern, but it warned that it was just a 'suggestion' picture of the final image, and seam allowances were not taken into consideration.

Essentially, everything is made from a square cut into fourths, so you have 4 equal right triangles. When sewn together, the squares need to be 4" on each side.

I'm fairly new to quilting, and horrible at geometry. Can anybody tell me how big I need to cut my squares so that after I quarter them and then sew a 1/4" seam, the completed pieced squares will be 4"?

I hope this isn't that confusing, I don't have access to a scanner to get the picture on here, unfortunately. Your help is greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roobee
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007 12:59:32 AM »

To end up with a four inch square cut them four and one half square to begin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007 06:38:08 AM »

I'm horrible at math myself.  I'm a very visual person.  I've found that if I draw the pattern out on graph paper first, I don't run into any measurement issues.  I draw it out without the seam allowances. Usually having each square on the paper to be a quarter inch usually works well for me.  You'll figure out what works best for you and the particular design you are working on. Then I write down the different pieces' measurements for each color and type.  Sort of like a key on a map.  Then I add my seam allowances those measurements.  I actually write out the math so I know that I've added the seam allowances to all sides of the block. 

Just remember where ever there is a seam you add a quarter inch.

ps. are you wanting to make a block that is 4 inches, and that block is composed of 4 smaller squares?  If so your smaller squares should be 2.5 x 2.5 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 08:23:04 AM »

Is this your block?  I printed this from EQ6, and it says you need to start with a 5-1/4 square to end up with a 4" block.  Definitely test one out first to see, though!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 08:24:47 AM by SewHelpMe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007 09:13:06 AM »

If in doubt, cut the squares a little bigger than you think you need, and trim to size.  It's a trick I picked up from Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
KyTriplets
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007 06:43:05 PM »

If in doubt, cut the squares a little bigger than you think you need, and trim to size.  It's a trick I picked up from Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame.

GREAT tip!!  Then you KNOW it is right.  Eleanor makes things so simple, 'ya know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007 08:09:12 PM »

Yes, I am quoting myself.  I should have stated that you trim to size after sewing the block.  Ooops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
absenceofcolour
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007 09:00:13 PM »

Yes, SewHelpMe, that is exactly the block I'm trying to make. I'll use some scrap fabric and test it out. I overbought fabric, just to make sure I had enough. I never waste it, anyway!

Thank you all for your help and replies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007 02:58:31 PM »

that is exactly the block I'm trying to make

One more thing...  (somebody correct me if this is wrong):  that pattern is called quarter square triangles; the calculation is finished block size + 1-1/4" (so EQ6 was right!).  And, just an FYI:  the calculation for half square triangles is finished block size + 7/8". 

Post a block and let us know how you're doing.  I've tried blocks like this before, and got frustrated with the bias edges.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make A Messy Braid Look Good: Hair Tips
How to Style Your Hair Into a Wet Look Bun
Say Goodbye to Dry, Damaged Hair in 2013
How to Trim Your Own Bangs to Look Like Kate Middleton
How to Get a Faux Bob
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...