A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ovenless turkey?  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spacecat888
« on: November 12, 2007 06:28:03 PM »

Due to our work schedules this year, my husband and I are not traveling to So. California for Thanksgiving with my parents as we've done for the last few years...

So I'm determined to have our OWN special dinner for the two of us... and our two dogs (of COURSE!)... but here's the kicker:

we have no oven.

At the moment, our kitchen heating elements are a toaster oven and the gas range... Am I an idiot for trying to cook a turkey in these conditions?  Should I make a dinner of side-dishes only?

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or just some support, it'll help me resist breaking into the neighbor's house and cooking ninja-style at 3AM on November 21st. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007 08:23:39 PM »

Do you have a backyard?  If so, you can deep fry or bbq your turkey.  I've heard both ways are delicious.  Another option, if it's just the two of you, is to do just a breast of turkey instead of a whole bird.  A breast would be small enough to cook on the stove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weeta
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007 08:24:56 PM »

sometimes you can get turkey breast cutlets small enough to fit in a toaster oven...
not quite the same thing, i know  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MizMosa
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 08:11:13 AM »

Could you borrow a crock pot from someone?  My mom used to make turkey breast in the crock pot and it was dynamite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecat888
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007 08:43:09 PM »

mmmmmm  crockpot turkey   Grin
The idea of just making a turkey breast is awesome-- we only really eat the white meat anyway (i know the dark meat is more 'flavorful'... it's also slipperier... and I'm kinda a texture freak

Grilling sounds like a good idea, but I think we'll put that on hold until Christmas-- since we're in California's San Joaquin Valley, it's still close to 80F here during the day, and a turkey would require a LOT of BBQ babysitting, and that's just too warm!  Smiley

BTW, I asked a client at work for her opinion, and she just laughed when I mentioned the 'no oven' part... pshaw!

Thanks a TON- I can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happycrafter23
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007 12:29:25 PM »

We make ours on the grill every year and it's no harder than using an oven....Put turkey in the roasting pan and put the roasting pan on the grill. Close the grill and cook however you normally would. We have a gas grill with a thermometer built into the lid so we can just monitor the temp and adjust the burners as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Disdain
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007 02:04:24 PM »

My husband and I used to live on a small sailboat with a 2 burner propane stove and a toaster oven.

I used to buy boneless turkey breasts and cook them in the toaster oven.

Before we bought the toaster oven and I would want turkey I would go to the Deli counter and buy thickly sliced turkey breast lunch meat.  I would put the sliced turkey in a pan with gravy and heat it up. 

It was an act of desperation, and not as good as a traditional turkey, but it worked for us that year or two without the toaster oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeperrox
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007 06:38:53 AM »

Do you have any fresh turkey farms nearby?  I know you can purchase roasted turkeys at the ones near us.  It's not the most budget friendly, but you'd get a darn good turkey.  We always get a quart of gravy, just in case our turkey doesn't yield enough drippings to make it.

Anyway, if you don't want to go that route, what I would do is get a boneless (skin-on) turkey breast and pound it to an even thickness, make stuffing, and roll it like a turkey roulade.  Then, bake it in the toaster oven (I don't know... maybe at 350oF... I'd check some recipes online) until internal temp is 165oF. Remove and wrap it loosely in foil for 15 minutes.  Slice and serve. You might have to cut the breast to make it fit, depending on the size of your toaster oven.  Here's a recipe from Williams-Sonoma, but there are plently more if you do a google search (or just search FoodNetwork, Epicurious, or you favorite recipe site):

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipeDetail.cfm?objectid=5063C098-852C-48D0-9A693257577E61BD

I'd use a gravy packet or purchased gravy in this case, since I doubt you'll get much in the way of drippings to make it from scratch.  I use Serv-A-Gravy in a pinch, and it's not horrible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faemystique
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007 02:13:25 PM »

There are people who offer to deep fry or roast turkeys.  Some businesses here advertise that, like our local fresh organic grocer market: New Sagaya Market... see if somewhere around there offers that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007 03:52:19 PM »

I know someone who has to work on Thanksgiving, so they went to Wal-Mart and bought some pre-cooked sliced turkey from the deli. If it's just you and your husband, I think that would be a great idea... a lot easier too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Jupiter
How to Make Red Plasticine
How to Make White Slime
How to Make Homemade Playdough
How to Make Edible Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...