A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Navy has challenged my knitting skills...  (Read 3815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 12, 2007 05:49:10 PM »

I went to Old Navy tonight and I fell in love with a scarf. I can't bring myself to buy a knitted scarf that I could make so I decided to knit it myself. I went home and got on the website and this is the description of the item:

Extra-chunky yarn gives this scarf a handmade look, but the intricate cabled patterns go way beyond "knit one, purl two." Each corner has the added bonus of a fluffy pom-pom.

It seems to me like they are saying 'the chunky yarn makes it LOOK hand knit- but it's too complicated for a knitter to make"... umm.. not this knitter!

How can I figure out this cable pattern? Does anyone know what it is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007 06:05:36 PM »

it looks sort of like the "twin leaf lace" pattern in my "The Knitters Bible"

kind of like this
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/11/twin-leaf-lace-cloth.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 06:07:57 PM by Dulcinea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007 06:28:36 PM »

i think it looks more like the Parasol stitch

although what it looks like in my book is different from what it looks like online...although the same steps are taken...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007 04:11:49 AM »

hey, that's a nice one, too - thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007 06:37:05 AM »

Extra-chunky yarn gives this scarf a handmade look, but the intricate cabled patterns go way beyond "knit one, purl two." Each corner has the added bonus of a fluffy pom-pom.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/albumofolivia/icanknitthat.jpg

How can I figure out this cable pattern? Does anyone know what it is?

I wouldn't call the center design a cable. A variation of a 'horseshoe' lace maybe. But not a cable. The side designs look like a plain 2stfront cable done maybe 12 rows apart. To figure it out, either chart it out like explained here  or go to the library and look for stitch treasuries - Barbara Walker, Vogue, Harmony, Mary Thomas, - are a few, and I know there's others. Go through the treasuries until you find this pattern, or something really close and make the changes.  The link is for charting cables, so it may not be exact, but the ideas might help, or see if there's anything at http://techknitting.blogspot.com about reverse-engineering a stitch pattern

I think you're right that it's not too hard to knit - figuring out the pattern is probably going to be the hardest part!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 11:38:24 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007 10:51:10 AM »

Off-topic and demeaning posts have been removed from this thread.  Craftster is about sharing projects AND ideas.  If you are going to post demeaning comments, then don't bother posting here or anywhere on Craftster.  If you would like to discuss this further, please PM me.  Do not reply to me here or your comments will be removed.

Thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
editorgrrl
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007 11:54:33 AM »

You can zoom in a bit at http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=26201&pid=522194, which may help people identify the lace panel in the middle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007 12:07:33 PM »

I wonder if Old Navy gave that description to discourage anyone from trying to figure out the pattern!  ha ha Little do they know that they have thrown down the gauntlet for every knitter to try to figure out how to make a similar scarf!!! More than likely, the reverse is true: they probably adapted their knitting machines to a pattern that a real life knitter made!  Sad  I noticed this in their clothing lines and fabric...

I looked at the patterns you guys have suggested and while it might not be exactly the same, it is close enough for even an intermediate knitter like me to try! Cool--and I like the pompoms at the end a lot!  I know I can make those!  Cheesy

Good luck with your scarf--I know you can do it--remember to post your final project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007 12:15:38 PM »

More than likely, the reverse is true: they probably adapted their knitting machines to a pattern that a real life knitter made! 

From the (very, extremely) little I know of knitting machines, this probably can't be knit on a machine and it's being done by hand someplace anyway. Anybody who's more familiar with knitting machines please correct me, but I didn't think knitting machines could do much more than garter, stockinette and ribbing. Maybe that's just the personal-use machines and the commercial-use machines can handle fancier stitches, I don't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007 12:22:51 PM »

oh--did I read her description incorrectly?  I was going by the description that it looks "handmade"--I just made the assumption that not handmade meant machine made...whatever...then it should be even easier to make by hand then?  Cheesy

My cranky old knitting machine does cables--I have not quite mastered them and it seems like a lot of work to remove stitches and put them back on! Someday when I have more time, maybe I will drag it in from the garage...Believe me, I do not profess to be any kind of knitter other than a laid back casual one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Glitter in Face Painting
How to Face Paint a Bat Mask
How to Face Paint a Christmas Poinsettia
How to Face Paint a Reindeer Face
How to Draw Cartoon Bodies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...