A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I think I just messed up my project!!  (Read 1317 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VaxGirl
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008 03:26:59 PM »

Yes it will, because you will be binding off 5 stitches from 2 opposite sides of the sweater.  On row 1, the beginning of the row is on one side, on row 2, the beginning of the row is on the other side.  I think if you would see a picture it would become clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008 03:33:07 PM »

I am knitting flat.

I'm really sorry, I just dont get it. If you do:
Row 1: BO 5, k to end
Row 2: BO 5, p to end   then it wont be even on both sides of the sweater. On one side you'll have an indentation(i think it's for the shoulders part) but then on the other side of the sweater, no indentation from binding off. It then wont fit correctly.

Sorry, I am just so confused. This is my first huge project and dont always understand everything right away.

Remember, when knitting flat, you knit back and forth.  Your rows go in opposite directions...here's a picture to show how it works:

--------k across ------->
<-------p across--------
(BO 5)---k across------->
<----p across ---- (BO 5)

See?  The two bound off edges are on opposite sides.  If you can't figure out the mathematics of it, just try it and see how it works--a lot of times things really don't make sense until you experience them.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IMIS
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008 03:38:31 PM »

OMG vaxgirl! You were so right, i did need a picture!!!
and craftygal, your diagram helped me out so much! Thank, thank thank you!!!!!!
Thanks for all your replies! i get it now...finally!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to swap for knitting needles and supplies! If you are interested in doing a PERSONAL SWAP with me, please PM me! Thanks!!!
VaxGirl
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008 03:46:24 PM »

Phew!  Sometimes I've found that in knitting you just have to do things and not think too much about it.  Seriously, if something doesn't make sense to me I just do exactly what it says and not overthink it, and eventually it seems to work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IMIS
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008 03:53:52 PM »

Yeah, you're pretty much better off doing that. I tend to overthink things too much....like now.
I have another issue!! Though this time, it's not such a big deal, but still, I dont understand: So I worked until the armhole measured 8 inches, by following the pattern: one row, I knit 2, decrease 2, and then knit until last 4 stitches, and then decrease 2, and then knit last 2 stitches. Then, I also purl the next row. I kept doing it over and over again.

So now, I binded off, like I told you(what I needed help with). So I bind off at the begginning of the row, but what type of stitch do I continue the row with? the knit? the purl? stockinette? After the instructions say:
"Bind off 5 stitches loosely at the beginning of the next 2 rows. You will have 22 stitches left"
It says to work in the stockinette. But what stitch do I work in on the bind off rows?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to swap for knitting needles and supplies! If you are interested in doing a PERSONAL SWAP with me, please PM me! Thanks!!!
redwitch
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008 04:37:14 PM »

Stocking stitch unless there is some reason you think you need a special band or stripe across the chest at the base of the armholes which would be your bust. I would also cast off in knit on the knit side and purl on the purl side but it's probably not important.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
IMIS
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008 04:50:07 PM »

so youre pretty much saying that I should do the stockinette for the rest of the bind off row?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassy-pants
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008 06:00:55 PM »

so youre pretty much saying that I should do the stockinette for the rest of the bind off row?

Yup.  You just bind off the first five stitches in your favorite way, then continue on in stockinette stitch.  So on one of the rows you BO, you'll knit all the way to the end, on the way back after you BO, you'll purl all the way to the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
tiggy_114
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008 08:08:10 AM »

I have a tip for you that my mum taught me when i first started to knit.  Even if it doesn't make sense, just do EXACTLY what the pattern says.  So if it says in one sentance, bo 5 stitches at beginning of next two rows.  Then do just that.  Bind off 5 at beginning of next two rows.  Don't try to work it out in your head, just do exactly what it says and usually it makes sense once you actually knit it. Hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008 09:56:48 AM »

Thanks for stating that. Yes, knitting makes a lot more sense when you have the yarn and needles in your hand and just do it, rather than trying to visualize it in your head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Film Financed
How to Make an International Ransom Video
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...