A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ballet-wrap top from Rebecca  (Read 13767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004 10:51:09 PM »

well,
here's my 2 cents (but i think it might be worth less than that)...
tere, working in reverse is not so acrobatic as it sounds - it just means that when there are instructions for shaping (say at the neckline or shoulders), you do the opposite - for example: if you've just worked the right side of the neck opening, and you always decreased on the left side (against the neck), then when you start working the other side, the left of the neck opeing, then you will always decrease on the right side (again, against the neck opeing). so you are doing the same decreasing, but reversing the side you are doing it on...
does this make ANY sense? (it's one of those things i could show you in 2 seconds, but i don't think you live around the corner  Cheesy)
HOWEVER, as clear as that part may seem to me, i think my 'fisherman's rib' is all off - i did a search on-line to see how to do it,  and i thought i understood, but i think it's not right - and i am a little way's into it...and did i mention that i hate ripping out and starting over? it's sort of against my nature.
does anyone have a good explaination of this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
Tere
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004 05:15:19 AM »

Thanks Elisha. To tell you the truth, I don't get it-but thats ok, i usually don't get things right away anyway  Cheesy I'm going to see if I can figure it out, though, (and get some yarn) and get back to you.
Mojisha, how are you with the pattern? Thanks Kadreath, for trying  Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klutz 91
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004 02:26:09 AM »

Hi everyone.  I love this pattern.  Unfortunately, I'm not brave enough yet.  Thought this thread might help, though.  Good luck!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3739.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004 05:15:21 AM »

Thanks Klutz,
I looked at some of instruction links posted on this thread. Basically, for fisherman's rib, you need to knit one below...does that mean you slip this one over the first stitch, or slip the first stitch? What do you do with the first stitch? And knitting the stitch below, is this done normally or through a special loop?  Roll Eyes There is an inspiring photo of someone's finished sweater on this thread, it looks really great.
tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004 07:13:04 AM »

Thanks, Klutz, that thread should be helpful.  Tere, I haven't really looked at the pattern because I'm still looking for a good yarn substitutions.  I think I'm gonna go for something cottony, which would work better for me down here in Atlanta.  From what I did see, I already know that I have to learn what a fisherman's rib is.  Plus, this will be my first sweater too (!), so who knows how many questions will pop up for me. Yea, knitalongs!  Elisha, I liked your explanation about working in reverse.  I think I get what you're saying.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005 10:45:19 PM »

thanks, klutz,
that was the original thread I had seen a while ago, but couldn't find...i wish i had caught those fisherman's stitch links before i got as far as i have. but i think i'll keep going as i am (i'm stubborn that way). what i am doing is a basic rib (the same thing on every row)...but instead of purling, i am slipping the stitch purl-wise, but knitting every-other stitch like for a normal rib. so what i am getting is a thick, very stretchy rib that is super cozy and flexible. i think it will work out.
but i defintely find that this is not the kind of thing i can knit all the time - i have to work on something else also. my goal is to finish it by next winter - a little bit at a time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
Tere
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005 04:27:43 AM »

I admire your determination Elisha, and I'm sure it will work out great. What color did you say it will be?
Last night i searched for a sweater pattern that I liked as much as this one, but that seemed more feasable; I found a similar cardigan in a summer issue of Vogue Knitting, which is done in angora on us#8 needles. It is basically all done in st st and has a similar wrap thing going on. Admitedly, its not as unique as the Fisherman's rib wrap, but if you guys have this magazine laying around and want an alternative, give it a look. There are a couple little things I don't get about the pattern, but nothing major, and probably just due to my lack of sweater experience (probably easy to google). Its called the Surplice Cardigan.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005 05:02:39 AM »

Damn it, I just looked at the ballerina wrap again, and its so great  Undecided Maybe I could give it a shot.
Elisha, when it says to work the second side the same as the first but in reverse, do you bind off the first side? It then says to cast on 9 sts between the two sides, so maybe that implies I should keep the first side "alive", but just hold on to the stitches? Thanks Elisha, you've helped me so much, I owe ya!
Tere Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005 10:34:34 AM »

hi there, tere...
to be honest i haven't looked so closely at that part because it will take me a while to get there, but when i really wrap (no pun intended!) my head around it, i will surely share all i can. just start it! i've seen all the beautiful things you have made, and i'm sure you could do it. when we get to the shaping, we'll go through it (or maybe one of the others who are participating in this thread will be beat us there, and share all of her/his wisdom!)
mine is a chocolate-y brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005 10:44:16 AM »

Thanks Elisha,
All day I've been trying to decide whether I want to do this sweater or the Vogue sweater  Undecided I'm planning on hitting the yarn store tomorrow so I need to make up my mind. Hmm, anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. Chocolate brown sounds awsome! I love brown, and you know, they're saying its the new black  Cool
Thanks again,
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Wedding Photos
How to Turn Art Concepts Into Projects
How to Strike Your Best Photo Pose
How to Take a Fashion Portrait
How to Take Great Fishing Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...