A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DNA tank?  (Read 8025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redwitch
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2007 01:22:23 PM »

Thanks! I'd hate to get about 10 cm into the tank in the round and realise I had to rip. I do mostly accessories (using lots of techniques, I don't think I'm a beginner), but have seen very few tops I would like to wear, I have patterns for one or two to do at some point - but this one is something I want right now! If the designer's still reading this, thank you thank you! You're a legend!
I've never knitted with cotton - does anyone have suggestions on what to do differently from wool/acrylics? Light colours for the cabling etc. right?

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2007 04:41:13 PM »

Thanks! I'd hate to get about 10 cm into the tank in the round and realise I had to rip. I do mostly accessories (using lots of techniques, I don't think I'm a beginner), but have seen very few tops I would like to wear, I have patterns for one or two to do at some point - but this one is something I want right now! If the designer's still reading this, thank you thank you! You're a legend!
I've never knitted with cotton - does anyone have suggestions on what to do differently from wool/acrylics? Light colours for the cabling etc. right?
Sarah
I am not a biologist, heck not even a scientist.  But I was very impressed by the cable and I get a strong impression from it that it is accurate.  I say go for it.  I have knitted it on its own and it looked very impressive.  It is by far the most challenging cable I have ever worked, having said that I should tell you that I do not consider cables to be difficult at all.  This was very satisfying, not too hard at all, I will definitely use it again.  It will look good in wool or acrylic, no worries there and yes light colours will look better than dark.  Something light will show shadows created by the cables.  Avoid any overly fuzzy yarns, something smooth will give better definition.  Oh and a solid colour is they way to go.  I used a variegated one and it kind of hides the ladder rung bits (I told ya I'm not a biologist).   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
redwitch
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2007 09:49:43 PM »

Ha ha. They're bases. Each rung is made of two of the four: A, T, C, and G. Either A and T, or C and G. Someone has told me it's right-handed, as it should be (considering it was commissioned by a professor for a doctorate student to do!).
I quite like cabling but this one looks very steep! Yes I also prefer light colours for cabling and other stitch patterns.
One guy in my postgrad biology class has a DNA strand tattoo curling round his bicep and it doesn't even have the two different-width grooves, just the same all the way round! I will look to see if it is right-handed next time Smiley He knits too!
I don't think I'll like it in wool or acrylic though, cotton sounds good.

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...