A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need your help! Any suggestions for door draft stoppers?  (Read 1545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 11, 2007 08:43:01 PM »

I need to make 2 draft stoppers for the doors in my apartment. There's a small gap between the floor and the outside door and I don't want it to get chilly because of that or *eek* let anything else into the house!!! Has anyone else made these? I have no idea how to go about it. I see them at stores with cheesy designs of ducks or chickens or something but I want cool ones that will go with my funky apartment. Does anyone have a pattern, idea for cool design or anything else that will help? I'm also not sure what to fill it with because at the stores they seem very heavy like their weighted at the bottom but I'm not sure what they use, I don't want my cats to be able to push it out of the way of the door. Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007 08:44:05 PM by jbender85 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007 05:53:02 AM »

This is how my mother used to make them, and how I'm going to make some:  Take some plastic sheeting - not too thick, not too thin (really cheap at hardware stores).  Make a tube out of it - as long as you need, and as wide as you need - tape up the sides and one end with duct tape.  Fill the tube with sand, then tape the open end.  Then just make a simple sleeve to go over it out of fabric.  This way, you can pick whatever fabric strikes your fancy, and also change it simply whenever you want to.

The plastic sheeting tube keeps the sand from leaking out through the fabric.  You could also use kitty litter, small pebbles, etc.

I hope that helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007 07:31:38 AM »

I just took an old sheet and sewed it up into a tube, turned filled with whatever I could find and sewed the end closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010 07:23:36 AM »

I'm about to try this out by using a pair of tights.  an e-how article says to double the tights by putting one leg into the other, fill with sand/kitty litter/whatever and then tie the end shut or sew it shut. Anyone make any out of tights before?  I'm turning into an icicle already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010 01:48:19 PM »

The most ingenious draft stopper I've seen was a fabric tube stuffed with polyfill that had a tab along the entire seam to which velcro had been attached. The other half of the velcro was applied to the door an inch or two above the floor. That way, the draft stopper didn't impede opening the door, and also didn't go anywhere. I think the soft half of the velcro should go on the door so that in warmer weather, when the draft stopper is removed, you won't get weird things stuck to it. Since it's an apartment, you may want to use peel-and-stick velcro (rather than sew-on velcro glued to the door) so that you can remove it from the door with a heat-gun or beefy hair drier before you move out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010 07:42:48 PM »

How about long strip of rubber to be glued underneath the door to cover the gap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011 05:22:28 AM »

HippieKender has posted a stay put draft dodger you might find inspiration from -

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=370008.msg4350648#msg4350648
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Legs with Apricots Sauce
Eating at a Japanese Family in Tokyo
Cucumber Raita Recipe
How to Make Vegetable Biryani
Homemade Won Ton Dumplings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...