A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggie meatballs Recipe  (Read 1988 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Feel the Illinoise
« on: November 11, 2007 04:25:23 PM »

I waffled (ha! food joke!) between posting this here and in the cooking section, but it's really more of a pet thing.

We've been trying our Cane Corso mastiffs out on a corn and wheat free diet recently because of some tummy issues. Each time they go into their kennel (we built one indoors in our sunroom for them) they get a treat. So we go through a lot of treats, but the corn and wheat free ones are way more expensive than the ones we'd been giving them.

So I decided to make doggie meatballs. They are made from the frozen logs of turkey meat we get at the grocery for about $1-$1.50 depending on whether they are on sale. I chopped up green beans (you can use canned or frozen - just watch the sodium) to add, and also cooked up some minute brown rice (generic brand, also about $1) to put in, and added shredded cheese as well. I think I used one egg to to bind it all together. Basically, like making human food meatballs, but with some different ingredients.

And they love them! I use a small ice cream scoop to keep them uniform, and bake them at about 350 or so. Sometimes I'll finish them by broiling though. Them I keep a bag in the fridge, and freeze the rest. A quick zap in the microwave heats them right up!

Here they are - I forgot an after picture, but they look like regular people food meatballs really.

Next weekend I'm going to try beef and chicken jerkey for them because I just got jerky racks!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 11:08:03 AM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chicago, the New Age, but what would Frank Lloyd Wright say?
catlee07
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007 05:48:39 PM »

That's such a good idea!

My doggie is allergic to kibble (ALL kibble; he's very difficult) so we feed him raw. I've been looking for some good treat recipes for him that won't make him sick, and are easy to handle. What a great way to do that!
*dashes off to kitchen*

PS- Your dogs are adorable!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007 05:49:26 PM by catlee07 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EvilRachel
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007 10:11:46 PM »

This is such a good idea!  How long do they keep in the fridge?

Also, I actually made a sickening SQUEE-like sound over your beautiful doggies!  lookit the one with its ear turned inside out!  lookit their gorgeous droopy puppy faces!  I just can't even stand it, I'm going into cute overload.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebread
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007 06:37:51 AM »

PUPPIES!  PUPPYPUPPYPUPPYJOWLS!  EEE!
I mean. XD
Great idea!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeddieXRuxpin
EveryOne Needs a Teddie

Teddie Ruxpin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 10:17:06 PM »

Those look pretty good.  I may have to use that for our pack of dogs here.  That is if you don't mind.  With 200 pounds of dog in this house a little store bought bag of treats doesn't go far. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pixi Blush & Bronzer Review
The Best Way to Fill in Your Brows
Birchbox Limited Edition Box: In Full Bloom
How to Get the Perfect Red Lip
Get Gorgeous Lashes Without Mascara or Serums
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...