A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: jumbo flyer and bobbin help... is this really a double drive?  (Read 1340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 11, 2007 11:17:58 AM »

I am borrowing an ashford traditional and I'm still getting used to all the  lingo and stuff, so bare with me.
you can see here that there are two drive bands, since there are two grooves in the bobbin (or the bit that goes outside the bobbin)

but the wheel itself doesn't have two grooves, so I could easily get the jumbo flier for a SINGLE drive, no?

the price difference is huge: http://www.woolery.com/Pages/ashwheelsfr.html#ashfordaccess

ASH-T3011 - Jumbo Flyer / Single Drive... $77
ASH-T3012 - Jumbo Unit / DD... $132

So, i guess my question is: the only thing that MAKES this a double drive wheel is the fact that it has TWO drive bands... right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007 03:38:17 PM »

I think technically it doesn't have two drive bands, but one done in a figure 8, which makes the bobbin and flyer spin in opposite directions.  Again, I think.  I still haven't gotten a chance to get acquainted with my wheel yet, which is a double drive.  The real difference is how the flyer and bobbin are set up: http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/wheel-drives.shtml 

Since the jumbo flyer is a whole new maiden, you could probably get the single drive and rig up a tension brake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007 04:24:49 PM »

That's what I thought, but when she gave me the wheel she called it a double drive, which didn't make sense. thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007 04:32:42 PM »

It's a double drive wheel as it is.  The "drive" part refers to what's happening on the flyer, not necessarily on the wheel.  If the flyer has two grooves as your's does, it's a double drive.

But:
Since the jumbo flyer is a whole new maiden, you could probably get the single drive and rig up a tension brake.

This should work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007 06:16:26 PM »

That's definitely a double drive wheel.

Though it does look like there is a brake band for spinning scotch tension.

The scotch tension setup is a little different than double drive and its driven by the flyer and not the bobbin like a dd and has grooves in the front with the brake band going on the back bobbin. The joy of handspinning site determinedimprovisation posted above will do a better job of explaining than I can.

It seems like you should just be able to use the scotch tension kit on the wheel and just move the mother of all back enough so that it's aligned with the drive band.

The only issue I have is that you're going to have to put both loops of the drive band into the same groove when spinning and I think that the grooves on a scotch tension may be narrower than those on the double drive flyer.

It may work just fine with the doubled up drive band in the groove but you may have to undo the double drive band and tie on a shorter, single loop drive band everytime you need to use the jumbo flyer, and then tie back on the double drive band when you go back to the normal flyer. You could also keep the other band hanging off the frame I guess so that you wouldn't have to tie and re-tie but I'd be concerned that it could get caught up in the wheel if you do so.

Also, unrelated to the bulky flyer issue, but about the pictures: it looks like yours is set up a little weird. I think you have the drive band loops going over both flyer grooves and the brake band on the bobbin groove.
If you want to spin double drive, put one drive band loop on one of the flyer grooves (the ones in the back) and one loop on the groove attached to the bobbin.
When spinning with a double drive setup, don't use the brake band.

To spin scotch tension, double up both drive band loops in one groove and put the brake band over the bobbin groove.

Ashford has manuals online if that's any help: ashford.co.nz

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 03:09:50 AM by AgentAlmost - Reason: clarification » THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007 07:11:29 PM »

OMG! thank you so much. It was spinning okay, but it didn't feel right. She set it up kinda wonky I guess.
hooray! much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007 06:41:33 AM »

Where you put your drive bands determines your flyer:bobbin ratios.  You'll notice there are two grooves in the flyer and there are 2 sizes of grooves on the bobbin (one on each end).  The smaller groove turns at a faster speed. 

The faster the flyer turns, the more twist you'll get.  The faster the bobbin turns, the faster the take in on the bobbin.

Do not get the single drive jumbo for your double drive wheel unless the drive bands are on the same side.  I think single drive (and some double drives) have the drive band situated on the side nearest the oriface.  My Traveller's drive band is on the opposite side from the oriface (like yours) so you would need to get the traditional jumbo double drive flyer kit.

With the kit, you'll get new maidens, the jumbo flyer and bobbins and a maiden adapter so you can use your regular flyer and bobbins with the jumbo maidens.   

To spin scotch tension, double up both drive band loops in one groove and put the brake band over the bobbin groove.

And to spin Irish Tension, double up both drive bands in the bobbin groove and put brake band on a flyer groove!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 08:19:08 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007 01:54:22 PM »

this is all SO helpful! hooray! thanks for all the info you guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007 08:35:07 AM »

Trad double drives have the ability to turn into a single drive.  That said, there's really nothing on a double drive that you can't do on a single.  I like my single drive for that reason.  LOL! 

Enjoy your spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007 12:52:12 PM »

I would imagine it would mean less mucking about with drive bands, which could be nice.... now that i understand how i can change tension by flipping the bobbin and rearranging stuff it opens up so many possibilities though! almost more than i need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Essential Hairstyles For Fall
5 Summer Hairstyles for Natural Hair
How to Do a Floral Braid
Beauty Test Lab: Diva Sultra Pressing Iron
Beauty Test Lab: Agave Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...