A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My So-Called Scarf-Along  (Read 7449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Riki
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007 12:03:46 AM »

I'm IN! Looks fascinating - and I am making several yellow scarves in a project to present to the King of Thailand - in honor of His Majesty's 80th birthday (yellow is the color for Monday and His Majesty was born on Monday - so yellow is His Majesty's color) - and they will later be distributed up in the north where it does get pretty cold this time of year! And I'm ready to start my third one (they must be 10" wide and 60" long!) today ... just in time for this KAL! Yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007 07:53:46 AM »

Yes, larger needles are definitely better. I'm using this pattern for a baby carrier blanket with very thin yarn, sportweight maybe, and it's doing very well on size 11s, makes it nice and soft.

he first row is easier to do like this - K1, *sl 1, knit 1, yo, psso, then repeat from * all the way across, then end with a k1. It's the same thing as written, just easier to `get'. The back may look a little loopy, but you can pull lengthwise and that should take care of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Riki
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007 04:41:19 PM »

I cast on and started this yesterday - thanks so much for the Mason-Dixon link - immensely helpful! However, I wasn't real sure which stitch I was to purl through - and the tute said it didn't matter - but when I purled through the second stitch from the tip - well, you can see the difference:

So - I don't know if this is easier to understand, but this is how I think of it:
Row 1: K1, *Sl 1 purlwise (or knitwise, up to you), K1, yo, then pass the slipped stitch over both the knit stitch and the yo*, ending with K1.
Row 2: P 2tog and without slipping stitches off of needle, p through st closest to needle tip, slip both stitches off needle. (I found if you p through the second stitch you DO get big loops on the back and it looks rather hole-y.)

I am using yarn that is probably sport weight? A local acrylic anyway, and size 9 needles. I'm loving how it looks! I've been wanting to try this stitch for a long time and was so happy to see a KAL for it!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 04:44:36 PM by Riki - Reason: Fix the errors. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hpy_sparrow
Grrrrr!

http://hpysparrow.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007 06:33:18 PM »

Looking Good Riki! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

http://myspace.com/Irisssssss
hpy_sparrow
Grrrrr!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007 06:35:56 PM »

Can someone help me out?
i'm a bit confused with the instructions...

Hey, snappity-snap! How are you comming along? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

http://myspace.com/Irisssssss
Riki
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007 07:06:02 PM »

So ... sparrow ... where's your pic? I wannna see yours!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007 07:55:59 PM »

Can someone help me out?
i'm a bit confused with the instructions...

Hey, snappity-snap! How are you comming along? Smiley

well, as i said, im a bit confused. so ive done about 7 rows, give or take and it looks like my stitches are all loose. i might frog it and start over. i just dont see how you can kn 1, sl 1, kn 1 and still end with a knit 1. 3 divides into 30 evenly  Undecided

you get me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
soozeq
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007 09:33:51 PM »

K1, *sl 1, k1, yo, pass the slip stitch over then repeat from * and end with k1; it's not a 3 st pattern, but divisible by 2. Any even number of sts will do - 24, 36 44, it just has to be an even number.

riki:
Your rewrite for R1 "Row 1: K1, Sl 1 purlwise, psso - knitting, or throwing the yarn over the needle again" is missing the 2nd knit. The first k1 isn't part of the pattern repeat, it starts with the slip st and you should slip it knitwise because it's going to be passed over the 2nd knit 1.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Riki
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007 10:38:28 PM »

soozeq - I was trying to simplify things but guess I made it murkier! Thanks for the correction.

as for the slipping - I tried slipping as to knit and it didn't look as nice - and the Mason Dixon thing said slip as to purl, so I tried that and it looked better, at least to me.

I also noted that if, in the 2nd row, I purled through the 2nd stich from the needle instead of the first, I got a far loopier pattern and I wonder if this is what is happening for snappity-snap?

It is a really neat pattern and once you get used to the stitch, works up quite quickly. And since it is a multiple of 2, so easy to adjust for desired width.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007 08:26:43 AM »

On slipping sts: when you're doing them at the beginning of a row, or slipping and not working them, yes, slip purlwise. But when they're part of a decrease - ssk/skp - which this pattern is, you slip them knitwise. Slipping pwise and passing it over the k1,yo twists it. Maybe you like the look of them better....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 19/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 11/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 1/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 17/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...