A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My So-Called Scarf-Along  (Read 7466 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snappity-snap
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007 11:08:09 AM »

Hmmm, in the brownish part, it looks like you did something wrong. It's a little hard to explain but, when you do your sts they're in pairs, but you use a stitch from each pair to make the next pair.

At the end of the 1st row, the sts on your needles should be grouped together like this:

x xx xx xx xx x

When you do the 2nd row, you purl the end st with the first one from the next pair, and so forth across, ending up using the 2nd st from the last pair with the single end st.
   ^  ^
XX XX X

So when you're done with that row, the groups look like this:

xx xx xx xx xx

Then on the next row, you knit 1 in the first st of the 1st pair, slip the 2nd one and knit the 1st st of the 2nd pair. So you end up with
x xx xx xx x again.

It looks like on some rows you made both sts of a pair into a pair instead of 1 st from the 1st pair and the next st from the 2nd pair.

i'm pretty sure i did that.... i did make a few mistakes here and there, but in general, i've been doing that. this is getting frustrating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
sulkycat
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007 11:52:34 AM »

Okay, so here are my progress pics  Roll Eyes so i've been moving pretty slow as you can see.....but i hope you enjoy!

by the way, i compared my work to other pics of my so called scarf and my scarf looks DIFFERENT... Huh so i don't even know if I'm doing this right.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/frianeza/DSCN1357.jpg[/img]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/frianeza/DSCN1358.jpg[/img]

i love this wool by the way!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 12:15:46 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007 03:52:14 PM »

Snappity - It doesn't look the same as mine - but on the other hand, I think it looks like a really neat scarf - and perhaps you just invented a new stitch! It really is lovely - and so is the yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007 04:10:45 PM »

thanks, but i really wanted to make the so-called scarf....do you think that using bigger needles could be why it looks different?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
soozeq
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2007 07:26:27 PM »

No, it's not the large needles. I did think of something... did you do the p2tog, p1 all the way across the back? Some of it looks like it would if you just purled. I tried out doing this in the round and it produces a column of the two sts that remain from row 1 when you sl k yo pss0.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
snappity-snap
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2007 10:04:27 PM »

yes i did. i feel a frog in my future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007 04:25:15 PM »

yes i did. i feel a frog in my future.
What it looks to me like is you are not slipping the loop of the slipped stitch over two stitches - mine looks longer. It should look like two stitches coming up out of the one loop. That's the knit row. Then the purl row you also don't have the loop that is created by purling two together then sticking your tip through the first stitch and purling that and then taking both stitches off the needle.

Remember, you're working always on TWO stitches - but not the same two in both pattern rows - which is why you begin the right side row with an odd k1 and then end it with the other half of the pair, another k1. This jogs that loop over to be first over stitches 2 and 3 on the knit side, and then, on the way back, over stitches 1 and 2.

I had to take mine out after about a foot - just didn't like my mistake on the first row of purling into the wrong stitch (the second instead of the first) - and also changed to a larger needle. Looks much better now. You have such gorgeous yarn, and the pattern fits the yarn so well, it is worth frogging, I think - and maybe post pictures after just a couple rows if you think it isn't right, so we can analyze earlier! Once you get the stitch down, it does get into a rhythm and doesn't require so much concentration. Hang in there! You're getting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007 04:41:14 PM »

Remember, you're working always on TWO stitches - but not the same two in both pattern rows - which is why you begin the right side row with an odd k1 and then end it with the other half of the pair, another k1. This jogs that loop over to be first over stitches 2 and 3 on the knit side, and then, on the way back, over stitches 1 and 2.

Ahh thank you! That's what I was try to show in my illustration above. The sts will be in pairs, but you work a st from one pair with a stitch from the other pair to make a new pair of sts.

And yes, it looks like she's working the sts from the same pair on every row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Riki
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007 11:38:24 PM »

took me a bit to get used to it - and boy, is tinking a pain to get right! So now I'm very 'mindful' of what I'm knitting and usually notice right away if I'm doing the same pair or if I've got one from each pair like I'm supposed to. (Main problem is I sometimes knit two together because they've landed on top of each other.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2007 06:55:14 AM »

I usually forgot to do a YO. I would just turn my work around, undo the sl st and make the yo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Did Karolina Kurkova Pull Off This All-White Outfit?
Celeb Trend Alert: Rainbow Brite Hair
3 Celeb Approved Ways to Wear Overalls Right Now
6 Affordable Easter Looks for the Whole Family
Best Spring 2013 Pieces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...