A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Tubey Knitalong :D  (Read 65097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JupiterLullaby
« Reply #360 on: December 19, 2007 10:35:10 PM »

I do the cast on with another circular rather than waste yarn and just do a slip knot onto that needle. When I go to use the stitches on that needle later I just slip that loop off and tug the tail to get rid of the slip knot.

When you do it this way, is it the same as with the waste yarn, just with a cable instead of yarn?  Or is there a different method to it, but with the same outcome?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby
live.  learn.  life.  love.  die.  dust.  gone.

[[formerly xkacie]]
Tephra
« Reply #361 on: December 19, 2007 11:00:35 PM »

I do the cast on with another circular rather than waste yarn and just do a slip knot onto that needle. When I go to use the stitches on that needle later I just slip that loop off and tug the tail to get rid of the slip knot.

When you do it this way, is it the same as with the waste yarn, just with a cable instead of yarn?  Or is there a different method to it, but with the same outcome?

Yes, just the same with the cable needle instead of the waste yarn. As I said, I just anchor the yarn to the holding needle with a slip knot that I drop later when I work off of it. I like it because I hate transferring the stitches off the waste yarn, if you use another cable needle you can just start knitting.

I also like to use one in a smaller size (though equal or longer length) than my working needle because it's easier to knit off of and the right-hand needle determines the size of the stitches anyway. When I'm ready to work that way I just knit unto the proper size needle and go.

If you are working something in the round I really recommend a needle longer than your working needle for the "waste yarn" position, it makes it a lot easier to work. It also makes it less likely you'll lose stitches off of it when you're knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2007 11:23:24 PM »

That makes sense.  I'll have to try it out that way when it's not 2.30 in the morning  Smiley

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby
live.  learn.  life.  love.  die.  dust.  gone.

[[formerly xkacie]]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vampire Makeup Foundation
How to Make a Personalized Christmas Stocking
How to Make a Milk Carton Bird Feeder
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...