A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: so, apparently my potholder is a nazi supporter...  (Read 16752 times)
Tags for this thread: potholder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007 09:33:46 AM »

I say leave it as it is. It makes a really cute and funny story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brouhaha
Bespoke by Brouhaha!

Craftdaft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007 09:48:18 AM »

It looks a wonderful job - I love the colours (I don't quilt, myself).  I'll be curious to see how you modify it (if you so choose... I likely would.  I think the white edging would work just fine).

well, i sat down today and said "i'm gonna quilt me a potholder." i've never done patchwork, i've never quilted, and i've never made a potholder, so this was quite an endeavor on my part.

i was inspired by the lovely Cacaphony of Candy Stripes quilt, which is awesomely awesome. i decided, however, that my pot holder didn't need to cover a twin bed, so made it 8" square, and only 4 blocks total. i cut, pieced, blahblah, finally finished, quilted it, and brought it out to show my husband...and he saw what i had totally missed the whole time:

]http://hellga.hellmark.org/Crafts/swastika.png

it's a swastika!  Cry

i can't think of a single way to fix this. any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007 10:55:20 AM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be is to do.  To do is to be. Do be do be do.

(Please note that my site name might be a bit misleading.  At present I'm not in business and not selling pieces.  I just liked the pun aspect of "bespoke" given that I talk a lot!)
have2craft
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007 10:31:51 AM »

That definitely sounds like something I'd do.  Love the colors.  I like OY's suggestion of an applique over the center square.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007 10:36:52 AM »

well, i sort of fixed it. thank you for all your encouragement and suggestions, everyone! i was so super bummed about it last night, but i decided to "keep moving forward"! i played around with all the different ideas from everyone (again, thanks!) and ended up doing an appliqué over the middle white area. it still sort of looks like a swastika, until i hang it up and it's diagonal, and then (i think) it just looks pretty and quilted.

what do you think? my mother-in-law saw it and immediately laughed at me and asked why i was making nazi kitchen stuff...after the applique, too.  Sad

oh, also, in regards to:
Oh yeah make sure you use cotton fabric and cotton batting if you plan on actually using the pot holder ... poly fabrics and batting can catch fire easy and melt making for really nasty burns .( old ironing board covers make great pot holders to because they are made of heat resistant fabric)

i did make sure to use cotton fabric, and i actually found ironing-board-cover batting by the yard at my local fabric store, so that's what is inside it. it's got a silvery finish on top, that supposedly reflects heat, so i guess that's good. i also remembered to get cotton thread, but alas, my bobbin thread was polyester. do you think that will make for problems later?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
xoopie
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007 02:09:51 PM »

I feel your pain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/xoopie/pinwheel.jpg

Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rowdy Vamp Raquel
Sewing till the death...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007 02:51:22 PM »

This is so funny. Really, I can't stop laughing. So funny....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007 03:18:08 PM »

You've already done some "repair" work on the potholder, and it was facing the "wrong" (Nazi) way... but if you take the mirror image of that swastika, it's a positive symbol of well-being.  But even with the swastika facing the "right" way, you might still get some questions.

In any case, you've done lovely work.  I'm "instant gratification girl" - I have no patience for quilting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lil_Birdie
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007 04:05:18 PM »

was so super bummed about it last night, but i decided to "keep moving forward"! i played around with all the different ideas from everyone (again, thanks!) and ended up doing an appliqué over the middle white area. it still sort of looks like a swastika, until i hang it up and it's diagonal, and then (i think) it just looks pretty and quilted.

I did the same to my quilt , except I turned my applique on it's side like a diamond ...mine still looks like a swastika (huge block that can't be turned on it's side so I am cutting the quilt down in size to get rid of it .. it's in a spot when I can't just change the outer area )

(quilt is red white and blue and was made for my brother who is a fireman ...hahah he can't take it to work now =p )

i actually found ironing-board-cover batting by the yard at my local fabric store, so that's what is inside it. it's got a silvery finish on top, that supposedly reflects heat, so i guess that's good. i also remembered to get cotton thread, but alas, my bobbin thread was polyester. do you think that will make for problems later?

That stuff is great for making all kinds of kitchen stuff . I can't find it  in the stores near me so I end up buying ironing board covers at Walmart and taking them apart . I wouldn't worry about using the poly thread but would use cotton if you plan on making more in the future . If a little bit of thread melts on you it might hurt a tiny bit but if poly batting melts on your hands that's another story.

Pot holder is looking good now Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007 04:30:29 PM by Lil_Birdie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

siggie
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007 04:42:50 PM »

Well, it really brightened MY day Tongue hahah. I feel your pain, though. I think you did a great job to correct it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pepperhem
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007 05:29:27 PM »

OMG!  this is so funny.  i took a nap and woke up and looked at craftster while still in a sleepy daze and was just staring at the featured projects box for like 2 minutes thinking how strange it was that someone made a swastika and posted on craftster.  i was wondering how to politely post a comment about how inappropriate this was.  i must have sat there staring at the box for like 5 minutes just thinking before reading the post and realizing it wasn't on purpose! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Healthy Nigiri Sushi Recipe
How to Make Indian Dal
How to Make California Rolls with Special Sushi Rice
How to Cook Sushi Rice
How to Make Homemade Miso Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...