A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The astounding Viper girl - only 2 bits a gander! *Adult. Partial nudity  (Read 7795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissykat
« on: November 09, 2007 05:59:05 PM »

(Just in case you didn't read the title, I'll repeat that the pictures below contain embroidered bare breastesses. You've been warned. Smiley)

I've always been kind of fascinated by sideshows, carnivals, freakshows. Then I dressed up as a bearded lady for Hallowe'en, which made me want to learn more about the history of sideshows.

I wanted the banner to look kind of aged and worn, so I painted the background with watercolours. I still need to add a red border, but I haven't decided how I want to do that.

I'm not sure, but I think the "Why?" bubble was more for performers than "born freaks". Mine's just for fun though, I wasn't really going for historical accuracy. I'm pretty sure that women weren't depicted as being "sexy" on banners either, but I think I was kind of wondering what things would have been like if they were.

Clearly inspired by Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins' pinup girls.

Thanks for looking.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007 06:49:07 PM »

Yay!!  I love it, it's really well done and adorable to boot!  I share your same facination for sideshows!  Some time ago I made an embroidered sideshow banner for the Amazing Worm Extravaganza.  Just a bunch of worms jumping through flaming hoops of doom.  I thought it would be fun to make a whole series of banners but the first one just took too long... I would love to see you make some more! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007 07:29:21 PM »

That's amazing. I'd never have the patience to do it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
allyinthevalley
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007 10:08:02 PM »

Really, very good!! There is an old movie that you may be interested in... It was banned in the US when it was made. It's called "Freaks", and it's pretty interesting if you like this sort of thing. Also, I love that you were making it look old! Have you considered using a tea stain for aging your cloths, though? Just a thought. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krissykat
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007 12:04:49 AM »

Thanks so much.  Smiley  I'd love to do a whole collection too. This one didn't take a terribly long time. I made the mistake of finishing the girl first, and I lost interest a bit in stitching the curtains and the text. Felt like it took longer than it did. lol 

Really, very good!! There is an old movie that you may be interested in... It was banned in the US when it was made. It's called "Freaks", and it's pretty interesting if you like this sort of thing. Also, I love that you were making it look old! Have you considered using a tea stain for aging your cloths, though? Just a thought. Smiley
"Freaks" is great!:) I watched it again last week, and it was extra interesting because I had just been reading about some of the people in it. I actually did tea stain the fabric before I started. Not very dark though, just enough to make it look dingy instead of bright white. I think my camera washed it out a little, it's a little darker and the background doesn't look blotchy in person. I also didn't want any white spaces and didn't have the gumption to embroider the whole background. Roll Eyes I felt like I was cheating by painting it, but it turned out almost exactly as I had pictured it before I made it, which is rare for me.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007 07:00:45 PM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
cedarwaxwing
P is for Prue trampled flat in a brawl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007 08:29:11 AM »

I love side shows too. I go to coney island alot to watch the side show and have fallen in love with their banners. And yours is a great representation of the real thing. Great job. Totally hitting "This rocks".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007 11:37:59 AM »

For the love of all things holy! You are amazing! I love sideshows, carnivals, salior Jerry and such too. I think we might be twins separated at birth Cheesy. Just absolutely breathtaking. You are so talented
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miche_chan

When perving meets crafting a angel gets its wings

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007 01:40:31 PM »

This, is awesome.
Killer abs too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007 06:45:53 PM »

Now this is what a like to see!
It's so different from the normal types of embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
aliasgracie
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007 03:00:44 PM »

That looks brilliant!  I must ask, was it fun to stitch bare breastesses?!! I had to giggle when I read that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Hair Grow
How to Plait Classic Pigtails
How to Shampoo Your Hair
How to Style Punk Hair
How to Style Emo Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...