A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: continental v.s. English methods?  (Read 1841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007 01:43:16 PM »

yes, it worth it, i learned the english first, then taught myself the continental and  i think it goes faster for me- plus i just like it better. it won't take you long to master the continental method. and it's a bonus that you'll know both methods.

I was kinda thinking that.  plus I knit left handed english style, and I'm finding it easier to knit right handed continental style, so I could just knit back and forth and never have to turn my work! lol I don't know if that's a good idea or not. anyone have an answer?
Why not? My Mom was a leftie and she knit more or less English throwing style (I'm really not sure how she learned to knit though). If it makes sense to you and it works for you, again... why not? It's not how you do it but the results that you get from what you're doing that really count.

I'm coming into knitting from crochet, so continental came much much easier for me than english. I put myself into rages when I try English knitting.
I'm the same way... I'm a long time crocheter that learned how to knit recently. At first, I was doing it English style but saw the videos on knitting help and Continental style seemed much more natural to me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefragileone

Pet the wool...PET IT!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007 03:15:50 PM »

I'm a continental knitter because I learned to crochet first, and it's more natural to me.  I did learn english as well, but continental is so much easier on my wrists, and it's faster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

another day, another nap...
jane feebles
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007 09:45:11 PM »

I taught myself continental after years of throwing and I love it. Especially for rib. Watching me breeze through K1P1 rib has inspired several fellow knitters to try the other way. But i don't know about right or left handed knitting- I think it's just best to find which way works for you
I've never had issues with pearl (tho when I first switch I had some loose tension problems which I've fixed)
Tinkerbellforever I'm so impressed you've been knitting backwards the whole time! I can't get my head around it- I wish I'd just tried it before muscle memory made it hard to change  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007 12:38:37 PM »

I'm a lefty while I crochet, but knitting I do right handed. So I'm used to the yarn being in my right hand. I'm trying to teach myself continental, but purling is so HARD! And my guage is awful  Sad

But I want to be able to do it all, so I'm still going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
kmsmaverick
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007 09:54:12 AM »

I just taught myself cont. knitting and it's fab! Once I got the tension down and all. I'm a crocheter so cont. it similar.

coldpizza, that is the main reason i chose continental also. the motion mimics the motion of crochet for me. since i was already a pretty competent crocheter, continental was a tiny bit less frustrating for me to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007 12:48:56 PM »

I'm a crocheter who has just finished her first knitting project (well the pieces of it anyway). I taught myself continental as it seemed the most crochet like. When I crochet, i just hold the piece in my left hand. I am thinking of learning continentla though as I am eyeing off some two colour work and I was watching the video at knittinghelp and she has one strand in each hand, doing both at once. I thought that was really cool.

Not sure if this is relevant. My stitches appear really even to me. Once my thingie is received, I can post a close up and you can critique if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007 01:11:47 PM »

I'm so excited this topic is here! I was just about to start one to proclaim how amazing continental is! I have been knitting english style for 6 years and I have never been a quick knitter. I have wanted to learn continental for a LONG time, I have started various projects saying I was going to do the whole thing in continental, but I would get frustrated at how long it was taking and go back to the familar english style. Recently I knitted 2 BR knock off hats completely in continental. I had to force myself to get through the first 6 rounds or so and then I started getting the hang of it. Once I got the hang of it though- it became SO much faster and easier than english style. I am already probably double as fast as I ever was with english after only 2 hats. I had 6 years of practice with english style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007 05:14:39 PM »

I taught myself to knit & couldn't get it at all as a thrower.  I totally ignored the section on "left-handed" knitting in my instruction book because I figured it didn't pertain to me - I am right handed.  Out of frustration, I gave it a try & took to it right away.  It is soooooo much faster and you use less muscle power (I know that sounds silly!) in your fingers, hands and wrists. Eventually, you will get to the point where you can knit using only the slightest motion at all.  That's a big deal to me because I've had carpel tunnel syndrome - not fun!  My friends can't believe how fast I fly through project & its only because they are English knitters  & I am not.   

Purling is another story.  I have devised what my friend (a master knitter, MFA in Textiles & nun for 56 years) calls the "clumsiest crap purl" she's ever seen.  I basically just use my left thumb and forefinger to wrap the yarn around the needle in front.  Moral of the story - do whatever feels the most natural & causes the least amount of strain on your hands. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007 08:44:35 PM »

Tinkerbellforever I'm so impressed you've been knitting backwards the whole time! I can't get my head around it- I wish I'd just tried it before muscle memory made it hard to change  Tongue

haha!

I figured out that I really, truly was wrong when I would follow a pattern knitting "backwards" [thanks for giving me the term!] and then the way i now know is "correct", and it only came out right when i was doing it the way all my friends said i was supposed to.  Roll Eyes

let's just say, I'm stubborn. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
mmdm
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007 06:57:11 AM »

...mooshie, you can try the other way if you like; knit sts can be faster, but purl is harder to do and really awkward. People who use continental even say so! Grin

I disagree. It might be awkward the way some people do it (I have no idea what they must be doing), but I knit continental and don't find purling to be difficult at all and am always baffled when people say they hate to purl. With continental style, it is very quick and easy to switch from knit to purl for ribbing and seed stitch. Knowing both methods is always a plus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Burkhart Talks About Take the Reins
The Monstrumologist Book Trailer
A Loving Tribute to E. Lynn Harris
Richard Doetsch Talks About The 13th Hour
House Rules Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...