A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Postage Stamp WIP (new pic added Jan 14!)  (Read 21168 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2007 12:31:05 PM »

beautiful
and very colorful and fun.
i can see this as something that will be passed through your family in years to come Smiley
cant wait to see more Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

totsandtrinkets
Mommy that sews

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2007 11:36:49 PM »

Holy cow! That is a LOT of squares! You are amazing to have the patience for that! I love it!

I cant even tell which ones are wrong side up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feliciter
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2007 12:47:45 AM »

Wow!!! Wow!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2007 06:22:49 AM »

Thanks!  The only ones I'm turning wrong side up are pieces I have more than one of that look ok wrong side up -- I think it would be hard to tell if you didn't already know.

It cracks me up that people keep commenting on how patient I am.  Because in my offline life, I'm widely known as hugely impatient.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2007 06:37:39 AM »

I thought I'd post a few "in process" pictures.

First, here's the fabric for all 20 postage stamp blocks.  There are 20 bags (1 for each block) and each has 144 squares in it.  There are a lot of repeats, so as I get new fabric (for other projects or from swaps), I go through each baggie and take out repeats and replace them with new pieces.

Next, here's a shot of some pieces in progress.  In the box lid, you can see two sets of squares (separated by the knitting needle).  The top set is a complete set of 144 (in 7 piles) that I have not yet started sewing.  I've already started sewing the bottom set (there's only 4 piles).

To the  right of the box, you can see several units in process (in quilting terminology, a unit is more than a single piece of fabric, but less than a completed block).  There are 1x1, 2x2, 4x4 units sitting there, some already ironed, some in need of ironing.  My husband jokes that they really should call it "ironing" rather than "sewing."

I work on several different units at the time to keep myself from feeling bored, and to keep maintain my enthusiasm for the project -- you see, this way, I'm always almost done with the next block.

For example, I just finished block #4 a little bit ago, and here's the status of block #5:

You can see that I have 8 units ready to be sewed up.  The one large unit there (4x8) was originally intended for block #4, but some of the fabrics didn't work that well in it, so I set it aside for block #5.  There are some fabrics in #5 from OriginalYouth, and I think one or two from HardySwanton and AlteredMommy.

I probably won't have a chance to work on this again until after Christmas (and in truth, I haven't worked on it in a week!).  I miss it!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007 06:40:14 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2007 06:42:07 AM »

Thanks for showing us some in progress pictures. Now I'm thinking that even though you're slightly insane for taking this on, you at least have some superior organizational skills to help you through it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2007 06:45:54 AM »

Now I'm thinking that even though you're slightly insane for taking this on, you at least have some superior organizational skills to help you through it!  Cheesy

For whatever that's worth.  I've fallen seriously behind this week (see for example, my late send on the tip-in swap).  I'm feeling really bummed about that.  But I have tomorrow evening blocked out for it, so I shouldn't be too late.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jktormala

I love my soldier!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2007 06:48:28 AM »

Looking great!!  You know, this is kind of like one of those soap operas that you can't stop watching...I keep waiting for the next 'episode' - ha ha Smiley  Thanks for sharing your journey with us.  I looked at my bag of scraps yesterday and thought...maybe I should try that too...and laughed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Military Themed Bags, Quilts & Other Items!
http://www.myspace.com/hercamotoo

BEAUTIFUL nature greeting cards, prints and other items!
http://www.zazzle.com/jktormala
hardyswanton01
idle hands means you aren't crafting enough

laughter is good medicine, whisky is better

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2007 06:56:34 AM »

you're soo amazing!  and not only do I already have an envelope started of scraps for you, you've inspired me to do some postage squares--I didn't realize, the little squares I cut out from my tote bags are perfect.

This quilt is going to be the most interesting story of when and where you got the fabric, who sent it, etc.  And don't feel bad about being behind, I just sent a week late on a swap!  But enough about me, you rule!

And I know about the patience comment, people tell me I must be soo patient to crochet and knit and sew, and I really do it because I don't have the patience to sit still, I have to do something.

Again, Katxena is a super awesome craftster, and I hope Mr. Katxena is standing by with the scotch next time the squares give you trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

assilem421
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2007 02:43:28 PM »

I have to admit this is beautiful!  You'll be so proud once it's finished!  I'm working on my second quilt and it is so time-consuming yet rewarding!  I can't wait to see the finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mel
Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Conditioner
How to Choose the Right Blow Drying Brush
How to Find a Parting
How to Choose the Right Styling Products
How to Use Curlers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...