A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: many colourful vinyl pouches! opinions?  (Read 1952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crocodile
« on: November 08, 2007 05:53:43 PM »

Hi everyone,
So I decided to get a table in my first craft sale!  I bought a lot of vinyl. One of the things I'm selling are these makeup bag/pencil case/whatever pouches. So far I've made these 6 but I wanted some craftster opinions! 

the set:

Questions
It's 10am-4pm (one day only) at a local school.  How many should I make? (I'm selling other things incl. vinyl small & large wallets, record bowls, kleenex pouches..my sister has jewellery).  Should I make an equal amt of each design? Oh and the big question: how much can I sell them for?? It costs me about 50 cents per zipper and maybe, 2.00 in fabric & vinyl.  Thanks for reading, & any suggestions/comments would be fantastic, thanks!! Smiley

Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starryeyeddiy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 06:06:17 PM »

I would think between $12.00 and $20.00 would be a good price. Id pay that. They are just the niftiest lil bags:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living and loving my life with my lil guy Dexter and Hubster Cody<3 Anxiously awaiting the arrival of a little girl in March 2011
radpants
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 06:06:45 PM »

these are really cute and very clean/professional looking.

whatever you do, don't under-price your talent! Price them however much you think your time and energy put into them is worth!  Cheesy

I think these are perfect but I have an idea perhaps for some of your future pouches; what about putting a cute little charm on the zipper? I like to adorn my purse/ pouch zippers with shrinky dink charms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 07:01:22 PM »

Those are so cute.  I love the off centered lines.  I would definitely pay $10-20 for one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crocodile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 07:10:08 PM »

thanks for all the kind comments!
I would think between $12.00 and $20.00 would be a good price.
I would definitely pay $10-20 for one.
Well, we can work something out.. haha. up to $20? that's encouraging. Oh, by the way, they're not super big! They're about the length of a pen (8" zipper I think?), if that makes a difference.

I think these are perfect but I have an idea perhaps for some of your future pouches; what about putting a cute little charm on the zipper? I like to adorn my purse/ pouch zippers with shrinky dink charms!
Thanks for the suggestion! I've never worked with shrinky dink, but it definately sounds like something to consider in the future, if I decide to pursue this whole thing.. Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpoodle230
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007 07:16:28 PM »

I really really like the orange one, but i think i might go in the $10-$15 dollar range, but thats just because im a teenager with no money! ahha  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 07:40:58 PM »

gorgeous. I agree, 10 to 15 is good for kids, coz i peronally wouldn't buy a 20 dollar pencil case (unless it was designer...  Roll Eyes )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
crocodile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007 07:59:04 PM »

I was thinking more along the 8-10 range? is that underpricing? anyone have any suggestions as to how many I should make? lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007 05:05:42 AM »

Good luck on your sale!  I wouldn't under value your work, but make sure you are pricing according to your area.  Depending on where you live at, $10.00 may be too much or too less.  I would figure out how long it took you to make each one along with your supplies and go from there.  I'd make several in each design, and if you don't sell them at the craft show open up an Etsy store. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007 05:48:38 AM »

I just wanted to jump in on the pricing question because I like to see artists receiving a fair price for their work!  I think the best thing to do is use a simple formula to figure out how much to price your pouches.

Materials + Hours of time worked (your hourly wage) = The price of the object

So, you already said your materials cost about $2.50.  Let's just say you want to make $10 and hour and it took you 1 hour to make the pouch.  $2.50 + 1 hour ($10) = $12.50

In this way, your pricing will be consistent, and you'll always make sure you're getting paid for your time!  I think a lot of crafters think about their cost in materials, but often forget to charge enough for the amount of time they have put into a project...

As far as how many items to make...I usually try to have a couple of everything.  But if someone wants something that you run out of, you can always give them a business card and make it for them later...

I hope that helps!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.etsy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.com --> Needs to be updated!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Way to Wash Your Face
The Ugly Side of Pretty
The Right Way to Safely Remove Gel Polish Yourself
How to Take Care of Color Treated Hair
How to Make Homemade Chemical-Free Deoderant
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...