A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Down -quilt?  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kcfirecracker
« on: November 08, 2007 04:02:38 PM »

I have a extra down comforter, but no heat.
I am making a quilt.(its mostly all cotton fabrics, some jersey. I'd do the backing in Cotton)
 I've been tossing the idea around of using the down feathers IN my quilt, instead of batting. In my mind I see feathers and lots of mess.
Then I also see myself all cuddled up in the warmest, sweetest quilt ever.

What say you Quilting gods? If I was able to get the majority of the feathers out (cut & dump?) would a square pattern to keep it together ( almost the same as the down comforter has ) Or am I just nuts - I'll be finding tons of feathers every day for the rest of my life and I should just make it into a cover....some how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 07:29:57 PM »

My biggest concern would be that the quilt fabrics aren't a high enough thread count to keep the down and feathers in.  Can you make a duvet cover for your existing comforter instead?  I would make the quilt top, attach the backing by sewing right sides together and leaving an opening.  Then you could either leave the opening and use velcro, ties,  a zipper or snaps to close it, or sew it closed and quilt or tie the entire thing into a permanent quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyTriplets
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007 07:03:58 PM »

The thread count would have to be incredibly high to keep you from picking out feathers from your crevasses. 

I would try a duvet cover for your comforter instead.  Or... have you seen the new wool batting?  It is supposed to be very warm, breathable and... washable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcfirecracker
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007 01:02:12 PM »

Yes. Feathers, feathers everywhere. That would be bad news. Marmish,That's using your noggin! I think that's exactly what I'll do. but First I'll finish the quilt. Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007 07:43:20 AM »

If I was you, I would use the down comforter as "batting", and leave the comforter in tact and then use the quilt top and backing to make a quilt.

You could either tie the quilt or machine/hand quilt it. 

Am I wrong to think that a down comforter would be a wrong choice for batting?  Is the washing of the comforter the issue? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcfirecracker
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007 02:03:32 PM »

rainylakechick - you might be absoultly correct in saying that down is a BAD idea for batting. But that's why I quest with my question.
It's true that if I did perma-attach the comforter I would have a hard time washing the thing (I would have a huge dry cleaning bill or break the machine at the laundry mat). I just thought that two warm snuggly things together would just make the world better. But it also seems very.....heavy now that I think about it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007 02:31:27 PM »

rainylakechick - you might be absoultly correct in saying that down is a BAD idea for batting.

Hahahahahaha!!!!! 

Good luck...  And I hope you are able to stay warm this winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.5
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.6
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.2
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.3
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...