A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Landladies of Colfax project  (Read 2326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2007 03:18:15 PM »

For those who don't live in the Denver metro area, I guess this takes some explaining:

Until pretty recently, the Capitol Hill neighborhood had gotten pretty rough.  East Colfax was especially known for its crackheads and ladies of the night.  Obviously, this made keeping apartment buildings around that area a pretty monumental task.

In a state of semi-inebriation (hey, it's cleaned up, but it's not that cleaned up =P) I agreed with a friend of mine that we should really do something nice to salute those Amazon warriors of domestic security, our very own Landladies of Colfax.

So, being the oddly socially responsible hooligans that we are, we came up with a plan to make gift-baskets and play ding-dong-ditch outside of our building supers' apartments and offices.
The gift packs have inflatable bath pillows (couple dollars each at the grocery store), fresh-baked cookies, soaking herbs, and homemade bath "tea" bags:

The top loop goes over the water faucet, the bag gets filled with a couple spoonfuls of herbs, and then the other ribbon ties it off.  Hot water runs over the bag as the tub fills up, and makes a lovely scented bath.  You can even scrub with the bag while you're in the tub.

The bag is just two layers of cheesecloth and two layers of tulle, folded in half and sewn up.

Bath soak (all dried):
1 part lavender
1 part rose petals
1 part chamomile
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007 04:00:10 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
coryjo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 03:28:17 PM »

That's funny.  I hope you have your good running shoes on when you go.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 03:29:05 PM »

YOU ROCK!  This is the kind of "vandalism" that the world needs!  Let us know how it goes!  People react differently to kindness and it would be interesting to hear your stories.  I once saved a toddler from getting run over in a USPS parking lot and the only person who acknowledged me (I mean made eye contact, etc.) was the driver of the car.  The mom treated me like I was invisible, even cutting me off at the door to the PO!  You all are part of the solution!  YEY CATLADYSARAH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymomof2banks

Follow me on facebook! Link is below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 04:11:57 PM »

I love the idea!! IT's not often that you find kindness. I would leave a note saying your cause...Otherwise they might not trust it..LOL..
I know what you mean about saving a kid and getting ignored...I used to live in a 4plex, and I lived in one of the upstairs apts, and I had the back door open while cooking dinner, and this toddler walks in...well I didn't see any parents around...so I was washing my hands to walk him back down the stairs, and before I could get to him, he fell off my porch!!! FROM the top of the stairs. He fell thru the railing. I panicked...screamed for my husband to call 911.... I didn't even know where the kid came from.... He wasn't moving, and he was conscience, but he wasn't crying....I was panicking...Then from the other side of the hedges, his mother comes and yanks him up and doesn't say anything. I said I would take her to the ER. She said Ok, relunctantly, but she never returned, and i kept waiting for her to take him in her car, or an ambulance to show, but nothing.. I went later to ask if he was ok, and she wouldn't open the door..I think she was on drugs...

AnYWHOOOO... great idea..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007 12:55:10 PM »

Yeah, we're going to leave notes.  Mostly, we just don't want it to come across like "Hey, landlady, I'm giving you a present to butter you up so you won't be mad at me when I'm late on the rent or having a loud party or something".

Re: toddler stories,
I almost wonder if those people get mad at you for showing them up.  You know, like they're embarrassed that they weren't paying enough attention to their kids in the first place and you had to step in and help.  I hate to think what that means would happen if random kind stranger weren't around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007 06:13:26 PM »

Yeah, we're going to leave notes.  Mostly, we just don't want it to come across like "Hey, landlady, I'm giving you a present to butter you up so you won't be mad at me when I'm late on the rent or having a loud party or something".

Re: toddler stories,
I almost wonder if those people get mad at you for showing them up.  You know, like they're embarrassed that they weren't paying enough attention to their kids in the first place and you had to step in and help.  I hate to think what that means would happen if random kind stranger weren't around!

It says a lot that it's a completely legitimate concern that people might misread your kindness/appreciation as trying to manipulate them.  Ahhh, life is complex.

I think that you're correct about parents being embarrassed.  I'm pretty sure that was the case with me, rather than drugs, etc.  And maybe she was the kind of person who ALWAYS squeezes through a door so the person right behind her has to open it all over again even after they save her child from getting run over by a Lincoln.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007 03:35:50 PM »

Random Acts of Kindness!  Yay!  But yes, definitely include a note so the landladies won't think your goodies have been tampered with or anything.

When I saw your title, I just had to look at this posting, as I, too, live in the Denver Metro area.  I was like, "Colfax!?  Naw, it can't be the notorious Denver Colfax!"  LOL.  Small world, huh?

And to y'all who've saved kids:  good karma! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.c om
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007 01:04:57 PM »

No news back yet on the gift-baskets my friends left their landladies, but I have my own report...

Figuring my landlords wouldn't probably care for herbal bath soaks, I gave them a big potted palm for the stairs (it wouldn't fit in my house anymore, and the cat used to get really abusive with it anyway). 

The first night it was out, the assistant manager hung out on the landing for like half an hour, just admiring and fiddling with it, and telling me how much "character" it added to the building Smiley

It's always really exciting to me that sharing just a little bit with others can have such a positive impact.  Of course, it's true that it says something about the world that people are as surprised by kindness as they are.

When I saw your title, I just had to look at this posting, as I, too, live in the Denver Metro area.  I was like, "Colfax!?  Naw, it can't be the notorious Denver Colfax!"  LOL.  Small world, huh?
Where in Denver are you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leenalivingdead
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 11:40:04 AM »

Hahaha!  Great idea!  I'm up on Auraria Campus, but I have a friend who lives in an apartment on Colorado and 12th (Near National Jewish).  I saw this and thought "Denver?"  That's very cute, though, I'm certain those landladies need some reassurance of kindness in the world. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007 07:52:30 PM »

Ack, I'm so bad about checking this website regularly!  Well, at least classes are over for the semesster. Smiley A whole month of freedom!!!  Yay.  "Where in Denver are you?"  Uh, I actually live in the Northglenn (aka the North ghetto, as my bf puts it, LOL) but I attend classes at Auraria, so I'm downtown near Colfax and Speer like 5 days a week. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.c om
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dan Bracaglia Talks About His Digital Photography Experience
Wedding Photography Techniques
Studio Photography Tips
Beginner Camera Kit
Action or Sports Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...