A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Antique Sewing Machine  (Read 14441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gardenpicnic
« on: November 07, 2007 04:02:12 PM »

Hi Grrrls Smiley

I thought you all might appreciate this. My grandmother recently gave me this antique sewing machine (a singer!), It is completely non-electrical, and it was made in 1914!
Anyway, here it is!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007 04:41:19 PM by gardenpicnic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

papdefer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007 04:15:17 PM »

That's beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007 04:22:32 PM »

Looks to be in excellent condition! If I'm not mistaken it is early 1900's, but no later than 1920. You could contact a Singer repair person on your area. They would be able to tell you the date, and place of manufacture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassie_g
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007 04:25:43 PM »

On the right hand side there should be a little plaque with a serial number that you can look up on the singer site.
For one letter prefixes:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_1letter.html
For two letter prefixes:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

It is a very lovely Singer. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007 04:26:06 PM »

I doubt that they would be able to help (depending on the rep you get on the phone - some are loads better than others....)
but you could call the singer 900# and ask if they have any way of finding out.

I would love to get one that is totally manual, non electric.  That would be so cool.  I see them from time to time at the second hand stores but have yet to be brave enough to buy one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
butterlite
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007 04:26:36 PM »

hahah i used to have one of those when i was in middle school. Man it's been along time since i've seen one. Congrats. Hope you love it as much as I loved mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gardenpicnic
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007 04:28:08 PM »

Thanks so much, i will definetly look it up! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

l_coburn85
Love Me Do

Not a girl who misses much...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007 04:32:00 PM »

OMG my mom recently bought me the exact same one! i love it but i cant figure out what year its from either Sad. i'm so tempted to bring it to antiques roadshow next time they are in town just to find out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amaranthe
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007 04:36:32 PM »

My grandmother has one that looks very similar.  Though I am not sure of its year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007 04:40:01 PM »

On the right hand side there should be a little plaque with a serial number that you can look up on the singer site.
For one letter prefixes:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_1letter.html
For two letter prefixes:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

It is a very lovely Singer. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

I used this website a few years ago for my old singer (not that old) and it gave me the year and the country where it was made.  Let us know what you find out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gardenpicnic
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007 04:41:55 PM »

I looked it up, 1914!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allyinthevalley
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007 04:42:13 PM »

I have one that can't be much older than that... It's from 1897. It still has the Certificate of Warranty with it, which is how I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twylag
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007 04:57:20 PM »

he3y cool, that looks sorta like mine.  my grampa bought one for all his firstborn grandaughters (i.e., the first born daughter of each of his kids) on the day they were born.  Kinda a cool way to remember my grampa.  I think its buried @ my mom's house in a closet becasue she won't let me take it with me :/.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007 06:06:49 PM »

aww, it's awesome! mine's a 40 or 50 something singer, i can't even remember. i found it's info on the site mentioned earlier too.

and i love your theda bara avatar!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gardenpicnic
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007 06:17:50 PM »

Aww, thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loli-chan
Simply Brilliant

Antisocially Awesome

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007 07:56:09 PM »

It's beautiful Cry*tears of happiness*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead... It's what you are when you've died.
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007 08:34:38 PM »

I have one of these machines too.  My great-grandma gave it to me, and that's what I learned on.  I was actually able to find a replacement manual for it online, but don't remember where.  It wasn't hard, just use google and you can find all sorts of info on it.  I know how proud you are, just think of all the things that machine has helped create!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gothmom
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007 07:21:14 AM »

I have one too - now the pertinent question

Do any of you guys *use* your treadle machine?

Gothmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007 07:48:25 AM »

I have one like this. Mine has the dates of manufacture on the plate that covers the bobbin chamber. It may not have been called a bobbin then, perhaps a shuttle? Mine says, "patented (and then several dates) the last date is Jan. 1891.
it's a great show piece in my living room, but, I couldn't begin to know how to use it, or want to!

Enjoy yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanzie
I've got love for the chat hoes...anyone else need not apply!

"Ich warte auf dich-am Ende der nacht"

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007 08:14:57 AM »

it is beauty!my grandmother has her grandmothers old sewing machine so that would be my great great grandmothers,anyway it will be mine one day and now i am off on a mission to find out the dates! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a burning image in her mind and between her thighs...

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CRAFT SUPPLIES!DON'T #$%@ WITH ME!

half moon shawl crochetalong...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235034.0

stalk me....
http://www.wists.com/Tanzie
l_coburn85
Love Me Do

Not a girl who misses much...

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007 10:32:43 AM »

Gothmom

i do not use it. i dont want to break it or anything, plus i have a computerized machine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassie_g
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007 11:35:49 AM »

Gothmom

Yup. She works like a dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007 07:55:17 PM »

I used to use mine all the time, but my mama bought me an electric for Christmas last year.  It took me forever to figure out the electric cause I was so used to the treadle!  I still can't get used to the reverse and usually turn my work around!  I also didn't think I'd ever figure out a bobbin.  I do like being able to stop on a dime. My treadle would rock and get all hung up.  I'd kinda like to open it up again if my new one wasn't on top of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellesbelles
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007 09:34:01 AM »

I've still got my great grandmother's sewing machine, and it works great.  It looks similar to your's, but mine is electric.  It's a singer and still in the cabinet, and the cabinet looks beautiful! 

Only reason I bought another sewing machine is because I need some variety in the stitches...but I still love my old Singer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PegasusMarsters
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007 10:06:14 AM »

Mine is something similar, made in scotland in the 1930s and it's hand turn, rather than pedal operated. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 stuffies, cute things and anything totally rad.

Add me on messenger if you wanna talk ^.^
Sofiushka
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007 04:07:57 PM »

That model is so beautiful.
My grandma has the exact same one, and I love it to bits, not just because of the pretty design and all, but also for the memories  Smiley

Man, I really gotta make some time to go see her. Damn I love that woman. She taught me all I know about sewing  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PolymerJanna

I'm pro-crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007 09:25:57 AM »

we have one! its from 1901! its a shame that my dad has it all closed up and stuff on top of it Sad its a real beauty too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008 02:53:46 PM »

What a beautiful machine! And would you look at that table/base. Such beautiful wood.

Now you'll have to sew something apropos:

http://www.fashion-era.com/C20th_costume_history/1914_silhouettes_1.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boxercurl
Wist Stalker

Boxers are the clowns of the K-9 world

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008 07:16:55 AM »

That is awesome, I'm so jealous.  I would love to have that as a conversation piece in my living room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ask for so little...just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Boxers are the BEST!!!
www.wists.com/boxercurl
ravenwcatz
RDA insanity!!!

Das feuer liebt mich

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008 07:47:24 PM »

My family has one in our basement that belonged to my great grandmother.  I'm hoping to eventually rescue it from the basement, give it the TLC it desires, and try to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No, I don't think I Can't Believe It's Not Butter tastes as good as real butter, and I never did, either. I guess that's the kind of thing that has always made me a social outcast." ~Richard Dean Anderson

http://www.wists.com/ravenwcatz
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008 02:17:18 PM »

my mum in law refuses to use an electric sewing machine. she learnt to sew on a treddle and with a treddle she'll stay aparently lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeryFae
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008 06:35:06 AM »

I love mine, but use the electric much more. I can't get the belt to fit properly, it spins around the wheel rather than spins the wheel...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sblzmd
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008 12:46:02 PM »

That is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smalleah
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008 10:10:40 AM »

My grandpa was a sewing machine repairman. He gave my mom a similar looking machine. And she gave it to me. I don't know how old it is. It's currently in the attic. I'd love to retrieve it and set it up. I think it's electric but I'm not 100% sure.
Also, my dad picked up 2 old singers in a garage sale a few years back. I think those made it to the attic as well.

Mental note: rifle through parents' attic!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008 10:11:16 AM by smalleah » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Granny_Leah
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008 10:19:31 AM »

If calling Singer can't help, this website sells manuals...

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html
Yes, we have the manual!
If you've lost or misplaced your original manual you can order a replacement online. Our replacement instruction manuals are spiral bound, professionally photocopied from the originals. Whenever possible, you will receive the factory-printed original manual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanna to the max
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008 08:25:36 AM »

Wow!! I have the same one from my Grandmother!! We're having trouble finding a belt though Sad do you have any ideas??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angrykittymeowmeow
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008 06:32:13 PM »

I found an old cast iron treddle sewing machine in one of the old storage buildings on my property.  Unfortunately, it's been exposed to the elements for who knows how many years.  I can't get to it right now, do to fear of hornets, yellow jackets, and other nasty stingy things, but this winter, when I brave the collapsed building to retrieve it I'm sure it's going to be rusty.  What is going to be the best way to go about cleaning it?  There is both the sewing machine and the base part with the treddle.  I can't wait until winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY COMPUTER IS OFFICIALLY DEAD!  I WILL BE OFF CRAFTSTER UNTIL LATE FEB, EARLY MARCH WHEN I BUY ANOTHER.
melissanorth
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009 02:23:00 PM »

I have a very similar one, with the egyptian decals.  I bought it for 25 at a car boot sale.  Unfortunately a lot of the paint has chipped off and it was rusty so I dismantled it and primed the bare parts- in retrospect I wish I'd left it alone, not least because I don't really know how to put it back together! Mine is slightly different at the needle end though, and doesn't have a chain like yours. I hear that you can buy the decals as rub-on transfers online, so I might (one day!) strip it all down, spray paint it a funky colour and put the decals back on.  I seem to remember someone on craftster having a bright orange singer treadle- it was funky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009 11:06:14 AM »

I found an old cast iron treddle sewing machine in one of the old storage buildings on my property.  Unfortunately, it's been exposed to the elements for who knows how many years.  I can't get to it right now, do to fear of hornets, yellow jackets, and other nasty stingy things, but this winter, when I brave the collapsed building to retrieve it I'm sure it's going to be rusty.  What is going to be the best way to go about cleaning it?  There is both the sewing machine and the base part with the treddle.  I can't wait until winter!

I have an old treadle machine to that I bought last summer from the classifieds.  It's a bit crusty, and while the treadle seems to work, it's really stiff.  If anyone has any resources to go about cleaning/restoring it that would be super useful!  I would love to be able to sew things on it!

To the OP- yours looks absolutely gorgeous!  It's so shiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
Goddesss
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010 01:24:45 AM »

I have this at home!!
I guess it broken, i dunno.. haven check it out yet as it's passed down from my Husband's granny..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShannonMarie830
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010 09:09:07 AM »

i have that one too Smiley i just don't know how to use it. I'm scared I'd break it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010 05:43:15 AM »

oh, the memories this brings!!  this is what i learned to sew on when i was a kid!  i wish mom had never given it away.  what i wouldnt do to be working with it now....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
SharaStar
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010 04:28:56 AM »

Freaky coincidence, just yesterday i went to the "SINGER" shop to get a sewing machine and i saw these exact looking sewing machine for around RM400... and dad nearly got it for me as its the cheapest at store Tongue... I wanted the white one instead  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~With love Shara
♥♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♡♥
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://myskillsguide.blogspot.com/ = Free Patterns
http://sharastar.blogspot.com/ = Personal Mumbles
http://sharastar.deviantart.com/ = Arts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lanna to the max
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010 02:33:24 PM »

I love it!! It looks the one my grandmother gave to my mother that's in our sewing machine. It's a 1911 Singer but we don't have a belt for it. Shame, because it's awesome and I would love to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cokiethebaby
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010 03:54:28 PM »

my grandpa gave each grandkid one and i got the "coffin top" a fiddle base also called a Singer Medium Machine.  It was manufactured in Glasgow, Scotland in 1873. i emailed the singer company and they told me that info because this one has no model number, they didnt put model numbers on them yet,, i would love to have it appraised.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=418174&size=big&cat=&ppuser=93426
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=418175&size=big&cat=&ppuser=93426

i wish the details were not worn and im afraid to redo it cause sometimes it'll make the value go down
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1920's Flapper Style Hats And Venise Lace Chandelier/ Pendant Lampshades I Make For My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cokiethebaby

Other Things I've Made For Home: http://longlivecreativity.blogspot.com/

My Pins: http://pinterest.com/cokiethebaby
scarlet_nights

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011 06:10:58 PM »

I have one of these but mine isnt a singer. Mine is named honeymoon, it was my great grandmas on my dads side and the story gose it was bought as a wedding suprise. Sadly it was in my house when it burned down and the cabinet got a little damaged. But i have a magician of a dad, he completly dismantled, fixed cleaned and repainted it. The machine itself is still in perfect condition with all its decals, i even still have the original little key for the drawers. As for the belt, my dad learned this trick from the amish who shop at my grandparents shop, bailing twine or just any good thick twine or small light rope. Just dont make the knot to big. Mine runs like a top and i use it from time to time for fun but mostly i just have my serger sitting on top of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012 07:47:39 AM »

Years ago, when I was very young, My mother would use several strong rubber bands for a belt until she was able to get a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.wists.com/mamarose22
prickingfingers
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012 04:58:24 AM »

Wow, takes me back. I too learnt to sew on my nan's singer sewing machine. I can still remember the joy of finishing my first peg bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le-Chat
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012 05:06:04 AM »

Mine is a hand turned and I rescued it from the trash right in front of my door. Thank you neighbors!! It's in great condition, complete and with the original instruction booklet 'for the 127 and 128 series'. As I remember well from looking it up it's from 1915. It's mainly a decor piece now, but if I had more place I'd actually use it because I find my electric machine too fast sometimes and find it hard to control the speed on tiny works.

As a kid I had a 1930's (I think) electric machine. Problem was the rubber belt wore out, we had it replaced somehow, second one wore out as well. I still kept it for years but my boyfriend told me to let it go. Made me sad but it was useless. Now I've replaced it with an even older, but way better one.

By the way makes me feel good to see so may cherish their antique sewing machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my t-2-t adventures and my own ecclectic way of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Buy eco-friendly in my Etsy Shop:
http://LeChatCrochet.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Candy Bags for Halloween
How to Make Glue Stick Spiderwebs for Halloween
How to Make Halloween Costumes from Everyday Items
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
Latest Blog Articles
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...