A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jane Neighbors Reversible Two Color Knitting  (Read 781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emily
« on: November 08, 2007 12:32:01 PM »

I've been wanting to make a houndstooth scarf as a birthday gift but a pattern that employs double knitting just won't happen soon enough.  I found this scarf thanks to google:

http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/?q=node/2149

Unfortunately the book cited is out of print!  But it's the perfect scarf!  Looks like people holding the book know it's out of print too--nothing under $80 on amazon, not on ebay at all, not even at the local library.

Anyone able to help?  I've done a little bit of mosaic knitting but not enough to figure out the houndstooths pattern myself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emily
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 12:38:09 PM »

http://home.howstuffworks.com/free-knitting-patterns-for-baby-blankets1.htm

Maybe I answered my own question!  Deeper and Deeper into google I found this...I'm gonna give it a go tonight...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kannd86
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 02:39:54 PM »

Good luck with your scarf!  I know this is random, but your avatar looks exactly like my sister, and her name is Emily.  I asked if she was secretly knitting a houndstooth scarf.  She said no lol.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emily
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 02:50:09 PM »

ha ha!  If my sister was lurking around on craftster I'd have to ask if she was possessed by aliens!  (crafting is not her thing at all!)

I'm really excited that I found something that may work, if it's successful I'll post an update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenoftroy
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 03:07:18 PM »

the scarf and blanket are done in Jacquard double knitting..

you can do them the way suggested, (K and slip stitchs, and Purl and slip stitches.) or you can learn how to do 2 yarn double knitting and work "in ribbing' (K1, P1 (every stitch, every row) AND at the same time:
1--Move both yarn back and front (to front to purl, to the back to knit)--BUT you only K (or Purl) with a single strand of yarn.

2--the color of yarn you KNIT OR PURL with creates the design.

so --
K1, with white, Purl 1 with black, then Knit 1 with black, then Purl 1 with white, then purl 1 with black

or
on the needle (U==purls) V== knits)

UVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUV

on the next row, the stitches get worked with the opposite colors..
UVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUVUV

the end result looks like the 'mixed' (not solid) squares of this potholder: the pattern is called birds eye.. (the potholder is fully reversable)
(see it here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13587158@N03/1387408183/in/set-72157602033904685/

there are books that have instructions and pattern for double knitting  (best? i don't know, but The Big Book of Knitting/Katarina Buss is good.

i posted about it, and posted stitch patterns on my blog, (see mid April to mid May archives)

Potholders are smaller than scarves, and a good way to learn double knitting.. (and hats are fun too) there are links on my blog to my photoalbum, where i have a double knit hat,and a double knit vest..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007 09:08:52 PM by queenoftroy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emily
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007 03:15:50 PM »

Thanks for the info, but double knitting is not quite what I'm looking for though. 

I can double knit but it's going to be too slow, I'll never make my birthday deadline...which is why I'm looking for slip stitch/mosaic knitting...I find that slip stitch goes much faster, I'm just not sure how to write my own pattern for houndstooth...

I found this as well, no picture though...looks very simple, I'm gonna give this one a try too.

http://pigbook1.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 05:01:53 PM »

Barbara Walker devotes quite a bit of space to mosaic knitting in her Treasury of Knitting Patterns books (there are 4). You can probably get them from your local library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
queenoftroy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007 09:15:55 PM »

but if you want double sided (ie reversible ) pattern work, then you are interested in double knitting..

if you use a standard slip stitch (and there are several books that have houndstooth patterns in slip stitches, the reverse side will be purls and the 'dashes' of slip yarn. this can be attractive, but its not double sided.

some double knitting is done by knitting with yarn A , and slipping stitches, and then reknitting the same row with yarn B (as just this process is referred too!)

I Use a knit both colors at one time method (vs 1 color at a time, 2 passes on a row method) both are correct (wrong word)

both processes will give the same finished look--but reversible two color knitting is a form of double knitting, not a slip stitch

the process can be done by slipping some stitches, (temporarlly) and then reknitting the same row, where you knit the previously slipped stitches, and slip the previously knit ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Brush Strokes Techniques
How to Tag Like a Real Graffiti Artist
An Artists Transforms a Washington Church Into a Striking Landmark
Mr. Brainwash Strips Down His Love For Art Basel (Interview)
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...