A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toe up socks or not??  (Read 544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beckey23
« on: November 07, 2007 05:35:51 PM »

I have been knitting for a few years now and am starting to feel comfortable with branching out and trying some new things. (New for me anyway) I have never done socks, but would like to give them a try. I don't like circular needles much, but I can deal with it. So my question(s) is this: which would be better for a first timer toe up socks or cuff down? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
pmack17
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007 09:47:01 PM »

I really really like knitting socks toe up, especially if I am uncertain about how much yarn I have. The hardest part is getting started. It's awkward and fiddly. But it's only for a few stitches and for a round or 2 and then it's over and you can go on your merry way. So, don't be discouraged if the casting on is difficult. It won't last long.

Double pointed needles were awkward for me at first and I was more comfortable with the magic loop. Now, to my surprise, I prefer double points! I can't believe it, but I do.

You might try first knitting a baby sock from worsted weight. That way you could practice all the parts without the added pressure of trying to produce something that will fit you. Make it in Christmas colors and hang it on the tree!

Have fun! I bet you'll be in love with sock knitting in no time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007 11:43:09 PM »

My favorite toe-up is knitty's universal sock.  After you figure out the short row wrapping style (yarn on the opposite side, slip, yarn back to the right side, slip back, turn), plugging any pattern becomes easier! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrjunior
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 09:19:00 AM »

toe up, toe up!  I have huge love for toe-up socks!  knitty's universal toe up is great because you just plug in your numbers and go, but I also love diamante, which has a gusset heel-- I find it more comfortable than a short-row heel, although there are a few more steps involved (note that you could very easily eliminate the stitch pattern and do a stockinette sock if you don't want to throw too much stuff at your brain all at once).  definitely give socks a shot, though.  I would also second the idea of starting with worsted weight yarn (which is easy with the universal sock formula) because it's less of a time (and probably money) commitment, and they're excellent for wearing around the house in the winter.  you will likely not truly love socks, however, until you knit with "real" sock yarn.  at least, I didn't, but now I'm addicted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
rippedoffknitter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 10:15:17 AM »

I'd say top down with heel flap is easier for a first-time sock, and you get to learn some of the basic construction. But I love toe up socks, although I don't like short-row heels very much. My favourite toe-up heel is that from Baudelaire in Knitty, I use that for stockinette socks too. More work, but great fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistakes done in life and in mohair can't be ripped.

Blog: www.rippedoffknitte r.wordpress.com
beckey23
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007 05:35:09 PM »

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!! I printed out the patterns everyone recommended and I am going to give it a shot. If they look good, I'll post a pic. Thanks again for all the help!! I knew I could count on my fellow crafters to come through for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
redwitch
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 08:03:26 PM »

I like heel flaps, they are much easier for me, they wear better, and I like the fit fine. Most heel flap patterns are in top-down socks.

However I like toe-up to be able to use all my wool and get longish socks.
It's really a personal choice. One thing that I would recommend for anyone new to socks is that whatever technique you plan to use first (top-down? Short-rowed heel?), you do a practice one first to orient yourself in the process and to see where you may have any problems. Make it a tiny sock in thick wool and needles, it might never get worn, make the foot and leg both really short if you want, but have a practice at doing the type of heel and toe used in your particular pattern.
For you I might suggest you could do a pair - one top-down and heel flap, one sock toe-up and short-rows?

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckey23
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007 08:08:51 PM »

I have a friend that makes it a point to never wear matching socks. He maybe the perfect candidate to practice all these techniques on. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art and The Occult
Artist Uses Smoke to Create Stunning Paintings
Art Worth $30 Million Found in Garage
Free Agents Set It Off in Miami
Piero Della Francesca: Incorporating the Home Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...