A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: _Really_ short notice wedding - help!  (Read 980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sofiushka
« on: November 20, 2007 05:37:37 PM »

Ok, here's the situation: an ex-aunt of mine just called to invite me to her wedding - this Saturday!

I love this woman to bits, and I really want to show her my appreciation and respect, and especially the thoughtfulness of inviting me since we are no longer legal relatives.
So I wanted to giver her something, crafted or otherwise, but not only am I utterly clueless on what would be appropriate, I'm also juggling with the time factor - I'm swamped in college assignments, and the wedding is 3 days away.

So any help, any suggestion at all (minus knitting or crocheting, because I suck at it), would really mean a lot.

FYI, she's a modern woman in her early 40's, very hip, good humoured and kind, and runs (and cooks in) her own restaurant. The wedding in itself is a simple visit to the conservatory, followed by an intimate dinner at a restaurant.

Thank you all for your input, and I'm terribly sorry if this is not the appropriate section.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 05:41:09 PM by Sofiushka » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007 08:50:38 PM »

What crafts can you do?  What are her interests?

You have up to a year (time being of the essence) to give a gift.  Three days is very short notice to obtain even a store bought gift.  Can you give it after the wedding?

Does she have an online registry?  That could be an easy way to take care of the gift as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007 05:27:41 AM by BoxOfRocks - Reason: ETA--registry question. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sofiushka
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007 04:38:28 PM »

Well, I can do paper crafts, sew, embroider and cross-stitch, and I can paint to a certain extent (lol).

She likes cooking, mostly (which is why she cooks in her own restaurant),  likes music, but not any specific type, just music in itself, she's not very fond of reading (nor does she has much time to do so, anyway) and she likes blue. Oh, and she's been known to not be afraid of bold home decorating moves  Tongue

She doesn't have any kind of registry, online or otherwise, since it's going to be a very small, low-profile wedding and also because it's both their second marriages, so there isn't really anything they need (except each other - awww).

I'm not looking for anything major, just something that says "I love you and thank you for not forgetting the old family".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007 04:41:14 PM by Sofiushka » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007 05:11:24 PM »

Thanks for your reply. 

Some ideas might include:  a scrapbook of photos you've taken on her wedding day, a blanket in blue for her and her husband, CDs burned with the type of music she likes. 

Re: embroidery and cross-stitching, could you design something and frame it?  The kits at craft stores seem like they might be too tame for her.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
caffinated_tulip

She's A Witch! Burn Her!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007 02:14:51 PM »

for the life of me i cant find the picture but i once saw an awesome patchwork chef's hat. if she has her own restaurant, maybe she'd enjoy that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woobie
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007 03:42:15 PM »

a scrapbook of photos you've taken on her wedding day

I ditto this idea.. I think candid photos from wedding guests make great gifts, especially when presented in an attractive format.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sofiushka
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007 04:50:14 AM »

Thanks everyone!

The wedding is today and I think I'll go with the scrapbook and chef hat ideas  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Double Scanning Technique in Sudoku
Collecting Modern Sports Cards
Collecting Vintage Sports Cards
Collecting Sports Cards
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...