A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old photos to wood: adhesive advice?  (Read 558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty bitches unite
« on: September 07, 2007 12:56:47 PM »

I have an old wood drawer i am hanging, with a collection of old (1968) photos displayed inside. i'd like them flat against the back - i know they will fade, which is fine, but i'd like to keep them from curling to much, let alone falling off.
looking for help from someone with a clue about this type of media mixing.
what's strong enough that won't eat through the photo? do i need to put some find of finsih on the wood? wish i didnt. its an antique drawer - i know i'll have to clean the wood with a rag, but i dont want to varnish it up or anything...
the stickiest thing i have used is 3-d glue dots. those things will stick your face to the floor if you arent careful. are the flat ones as strong?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007 02:38:09 AM »

I think what I would do is to photocopy the pictures first onto a heavier cardstock.  That way if they do fade over time, you still have the originals to make replacements.  Depending on the weight of the cardstock, you might want to beef it up some more by gluing the pic to some mat board.

Then how about using small pieces of sticky back velcro - you put one side of it on the drawer, one on the back of the picture - that way you can also change out the pictures if you get tired of them or want a new look.

That's a great idea for using a drawer as a frame - I've never thought of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Beachgardengal
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 02:07:44 PM »

Yes, great idea...I've used them for shelving too.  Be sure and send pics when you are through!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007 07:16:51 AM »

I haven't found any instantly holding glue as strong as those giant dots - those things are amazing.

If you really want to use original photos, what about backing them with archive safe paper and then using a glue like E6000?  I've heard that putting the paper between will prevent the glue from damaging the photo.  If you are able to weight it down while the glue dries that stuff is very strong.

Or what about teeny, tiny decorative nails or pins (like those map push pins)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
piddix
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 09:41:51 PM »

I've used plain old modge podge, and then coated the photos in several coats of a clear, satin, polyurethane that you can get at a hardware store. Only trick is, my photos ran a bit, so I have to figure out what to spray them with first so they don't run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Umit Benan Spring 2014 Menswear
How New York Fashion Week Showgoers Are Wearing Fall’s Hottest Looks
Met Gala - Punk Stories: Cara Delevingne Rocks the Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...