A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
891 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A QUESTION concerning needle sizes =]  (Read 254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grapefruiit
« on: November 07, 2007 02:50:43 AM »

Hi, I'm new to knitting and I was only able to purchase one pair of 3.25mm-ish needles (about US size 4 or a bit smaller?) before the store closed down. I almost cried. I don't know anywhere else that sells knitting supplies, and I'm not overly fond of buying things online (bad, bad past experiences turn me off anything remotely connecting to online shopping).
SO my question is: if, say for example, a hat pattern recommends size 4 needles for ribbing and size 8 or 9 needles for the rest of the hat, would it make a huge difference if I made the whole hat in size 4 needles? Should I just find another store that SELLS needles?

Please help me. I'm a complete noob, but I already feel strange withdrawal-like symptoms if I don't knit for long periods of time. I swear this is a dangerous hobby  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripey_cat
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007 05:47:53 AM »

It'll not work.  If you use a smaller needle, you end up with smaller stitches and a tighter fabric.  This is good for something like socks that'll get a lot of wear, and you often do it for ribbing because most people's purl stitches are a bit baggy anyway, but if you do it for the whole hat it will a) stop bullets, and b) be preemie sized.  Find a pattern you like that calls for number 4s for the body of the hat, and either do a roll-brim, or work ribbing as tight as you possibly can for a few rows.  You will eventually need more needles - try charity shops if you have any locally, as they often have a box-ful for pennies a pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007 09:30:04 AM »

There have been a lot of posts recently about making your own needles out of wooden dowels -- worst case scenario, you can get all super-crafty and do that!

I don't know if you're in the States or not, but Joann.com is pretty reliable if you break down and must order online.  Knitpicks.com is good, too, and they have their own brand of needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 3/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...