A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just moved to Kanata, ON  (Read 1957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ramenparty

Your body is just another canvas.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2007 06:11:32 AM »

Hi everyone, I just moved to Kanata and I have no idea where to start my search for crafty stores!

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what areas in Ottawa are the best places to find bead/ribbon/craft/fabric stores?  I'll be taking the bus into the city and walking around, so street names will be most helpful to me.  Right now the only place I know of is the Fabricland in Kanata.

Thanks for all your help!  I'm hoping the selection of stores here will be better than Moncton, NB (where I moved from).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
busspass

I *heart* Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007 11:51:24 AM »

Hey! Welcome to Ottawa. Okay let's start.

In Ottawa we have quite the variety. We have your typical Micheals Stores (Pinecrest location is probably the closest to you). We have Wal-Mart (Kanata Centrium) they have a good craft section there.

We have smaller stores like Sassy Bead Co. Yarn Forward.

Ottawa Dollarama's have an ok selection of craft supplies too.

Ottawa is very accessible. You'll be able to get around easily.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008 06:34:08 PM »

I don't know if you've done your exploring and have seen all there is to see yet, but I have some more suggestions for you!  There's a Canada Beading Supply (huge, and they have great stuff there) on Colonnade (which runs off of Merivale Road).  If you're a knitter, Wool-Tyme is also located on Colonnade.  Sassy Bead is, as mentioned by somebody else, a great store which also happens to be convenient because there are three locations in the city; you'll find one on Bank Street, one (newest, so it's smaller) on Greenbank Road (near Hunt Club), and one in the downtown core... sorry I forget what street that one's on, but I think it's near York St.  Since you mentioned beading specifically, you might find it worth your while to check out one of the many Value Village locations in town... I like to buy cheap secondhand jewelry there and reconstruct it.  You might also like Ragtime on Flora (off Bank Street), which is a great vintage shop with a wide selection of reasonably priced, beautiful jewelry... you know, for when you need a special charm or doodad and the stuff at Sassy Bead just isn't turning your crank.  There's also a GIANT store at Bank and Argyle, it's like a craft warehouse... I forget the name of it but they carry beads, scrapbooking supplies, art supplies; I loved it.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonader
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008 10:26:25 AM »

Welcome to Ottawa!!! We should all have a crafty pub night or something LOL

I love Sassy Bead. The one closest to you is on Greenbank in the same plaza as the 24 hour Loeb.

The Dollarama on Merivale has a fantastic craft section - actually, it has a fantastic everything section.

I would say don't waste your time with the Fabricland on Hazeldean by the Taco Bell... it's small and understocked... but if you really dig around there, you might find a few good treasures.

And of course I love the Michael's on Pinecrest. My rule is that I'm only allowed to buy as much as I can carry in my arms. It's a good Michael's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008 01:02:30 PM »

I'm sorry to say it but you moved to the wrong city for fabric (depending what you are looking for).  There are fabriclands of varying quality sprinkled around the city (google will tell you exactly where), but as far as fabriclands go none of them are overly nice.  If you are looking for home decor there are two great stores one (C and M textiles; which also has an okay selection of some fashion fabric and notions) is on Merivale in Nepean, and the other is in the East end of the city (and I don't remember the name right now).  If you want dress fabrics (silks) or expensive wools and cottons, or buttons, awesome buttons there is a small store on Bank St near Summerset (not bad to get to by bus).  Other than that it is quilting stores, which are everywhere and seem to have a good selection if that's what you are looking for. 

I was warned after I moved to Ottawa in the Spring that the closest/best place to get fabric near here was Montreal. Roll Eyes

Good luck, and enjoy the city.    
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 02:08:19 PM by kjlutz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Emmeline88
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008 10:27:34 AM »

I agree I went to the fabric land here yesterday expecting the same quality as the one back home (stratford) and it SUCKED. I forget which one I went to... Walkly road I think. the staff was mega rude there was no good sales they had no jersey at all. On the whole it made me very sad. My fav place for fabric is the value village on bank street. anythin is fabric once you take it apart! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 09:30:38 AM »

Kind of an old thread so you may not need this info, but here's a few more suggestions:

For fabric in the West end nearer you, there's also Sew for It in Bell's Corners, and The Running Stitch quilt store on Hazeldean.  On Saturday, I spent 45 min in the Sew for It trying to coordinate fabrics for a quilt and the lady there was very, very patient and helpful. I think its more of a quilt store but they did have other fabrics.

I was in Rockland Textiles on the weekend for the first time, and while I was there looking for something specific and thus didn't look around too much, its a BIG store and seemed like they had a good selection.  That's not in the west end though, its on Kaladar (kind of east of South Bank).  It's kind of tucked away not on a main street.
http://www.rocklandtextiles.com/index.htm

hope that helps a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
ramenparty

Your body is just another canvas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008 09:29:30 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I'll agree that the Fabricland on Hazeldean is really not very good.  But I've been successful with the one on Marivale so far.  I hadn't found Rockland Textiles, so I'll have to check them out at some point.

I agree that we should have some sort of meet up here in the city sometime.  It'd be nice to meet some other craftsters in the area!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
macnatalie
We're not going to Guam, are we?

Until there are none, adopt one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009 05:14:47 PM »

I highly recommend Rockland T. I live within 15 minutes walking to it.
They don't always have the best prices, but they have the best selection and the staff are really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.
----
Check out my personal website. http://vv.carleton.ca/~natalie
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
A Dessert You Can Make With Your Kids Before They Head Back to School
How to Make a Pug Pupcake
Ice Cream Bread Recipe
How to Make Chunky Monkey Bonbons
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...