A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,245
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mom I Want to Craft Too - Sharing your kids crafts and craft ideas for kids  (Read 14023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julia2222
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005 11:19:00 AM »

I second this!!
I'm always looking for new crafts to do with the kids I take care of!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005 11:57:12 AM »

Its hard finding crafts for kids. My daughter likes to paint, cut scraps of felt or fabric with scissors, glue stuff on paper and now she can string those big beads on string and has made a necklace and two bracelets. she's 2 1/2 so its hard to come up with stuff she can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Mary Bell
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005 02:27:48 PM »

I second this!!
I'm always looking for new crafts to do with the kids I take care of!

I am so glad someone finally responded to this thread!! Maybe we could just trade ideas in this thread for awhile!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mary Bell
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005 02:36:31 PM »

Its hard finding crafts for kids. My daughter likes to paint, cut scraps of felt or fabric with scissors, glue stuff on paper and now she can string those big beads on string and has made a necklace and two bracelets. she's 2 1/2 so its hard to come up with stuff she can do.

She is probably ready to do what I just did with my daughter (she is 3 and a half). I bought cheap thin wooden cut-outs at JoAnn's then I let her paint them. I let her paint them however she wants (except for the ladybugs we did for her baby sister's upcoming birthday)...Then I sprayed them with a clear acrylic finish then I had her glue magnets on the back. I glued some felt piece to complete the ladybugs wings and head and then on the ladybugs I gave her mini=pom=poms and let her glue them on as spots (she did a great job - she did it all by herself and they look wonderful - I was very proud of her).

On other cut-outs I let her glue googly eyes or other things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005 03:08:18 PM »

Thats a good idea. I actually got the ceramic butterfly and ladybug for her. She loves magnets though so I will try that with her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momcsp
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005 02:10:32 PM »

I looove this idea. My 5 year old is little Miss Crafty- she is actually more creative than I am. She constructed this tote bag that she made from pieces of construction paper- and I was jealous of her. For just a minute, though.  Smiley I so dislike Oriental Trading- the crafts just fall apart. Something she loves to do is go the craft store where they have their wood crafts aisle, and find the cheapie dollar frames, then make them "her own". She'll glitter, sorry but not my favorite for mom-knows-why reasons, and she'll paint them, put stickers on them that go along with the theme of the 'pics. She's been doing this since she was 2- for the mommas of young'uns. Off to ballet- more later... But I love the idea of crafts for wee ones!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not a fleas breath of doubt...
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005 02:21:52 PM »

For mothers day we made the clay hand prints and she loved that. She painted and glittered it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary Bell
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005 03:50:02 AM »

If your child does well with multi-stage projects try paper mache - my 3.5 year old does well with multi-stage projects and so we made porecelain paper mache (she and the baby ripped up two rolls of toilet paper) I made the mache and now she can do hand prints and other molds with it and once it is dry she will get to paint it.

A good paper mache site: http://www.papiermache.co.uk/

For her cousin's birthday I bought a bright orange fabric tote and she painted it with acrylics and then I helped her spell his name on it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005 10:17:39 AM »

i babysitt and work in a nursery at my local ymca and i think it would be awsome to have a board to share projects to do with different age groups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysadloveforcheese
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005 07:21:58 AM »

Grand idea for a thread!  I'm a sahm of three and am always willing to try new crafty things with the kids.  I do have a few suggestions to add to the ones that are already here.  We've had a great time making concrete stepping stones for the garden (and they make great grandparent gifts!) with handprints and small trinkets like Legos (ok, that one wasn't the brightest idea ever...those things never feel good to step on!), marbles, aquarium gravel, bottle caps (teeth-side down of course...and yeah, this one was one my husband did  Roll Eyes), glitter (no, it doesn't last long, but it looks cool while it's there!), shark's teeth (my son's idea..we just made sure we imbedded them in the concrete very well!), shells.  The boy made a "fossil" one for my dad a couple of years ago.  He laid leaves, shells, branches, etc. in the concrete, then pulled them off after the concrete had a chance to set up a little.  It turned out very cool.
My older daughter made this very cool mobile thing a few years ago using pony beads and jingle bells.  I bent a piece of colored wire into a small circle and she helped tie on different lengths of string, then strung the beads and bells on the string.  It hung from her ceiling until a few months ago when we had to take it down to make room for a canopy.  And my son and I made a flashlight lighthouse yesterday out of a sports bottle for his room (a nautical/surf theme).  My little one (16 months) has recently discovered the joy of markers and refuses to touch crayons anymore, so we're in the process of making a set of placemats.  Oh yeah...one really fun thing my older daughter made last year was a butterfly mobile.  She drew outlines of butterflies with a permanent marker, then colored with washable markers.  Then we coated the back of the paper with baby oil to make it transparent, let it dry and cut them out, punched a hole in the top of each and tied them on a wire circle with fishing line.  She added some embellishments like sequins and glitter to some of them and some beads to the fishing line as well.  It turned out very pretty and oh so sparkly.  It was a gift tho and I forgot to take a photo of it before we sent it, I'll have to see if she wants to make another one.
This summer I'll be teaching the older girl-child to sew some simple things and they'll be constructing their own journals (w/ some sheets of handmade paper) to use as a nature/summer journal. We have a Midsummer celebration every year for a bunch of little ones so we've been trying to figure out what all the kids could make there.  There's a range of ages to appease so it's quite the challenge.  Pinwheels maybe, or pipe cleaner bubble blowers...last year we made necklaces and glowstick fireflies out of soda bottles and foam sheets. 
I love the idea about the wooden frames!  I had kind of a duh moment when I read that...I have bought those and decorated them myself, why didn't I think of the kids doing it before?  I'll definitely have to pick some up for them.  I may have to use that idea this year for Midsummer, too!
Ok, none of this stuff was particularly inventive or original, but the kids had fun doing it.
I look forward to more posts on this topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll order you a red hat and a Speedo.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Bangs to Flatter Your Face Shape
Tips For Making Clean Hair Last Longer
Top 7 Blow Drying Techniques
How to Do a Half-Up Updo
How to Do a Low Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...