A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mom I Want to Craft Too - Sharing your kids crafts and craft ideas for kids  (Read 13603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

talmina
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2006 07:01:46 PM »

I craft with my niece, I've been teaching her to knit when she feels like knitting and she almost has it worked out now.  The other weekend I was so proud when she walked into my room where I was knitting, sat down on my bed with her 'scarf' and asked to knit with me, sadly she changed her mind about 5 mins later.  But she loves to make stuff for people, for my birthday last year she drew me about 20 pictures and really expanded what she drew in the process. 

I have a denim remnant that I've been thinking of making her a skirt from(since it's only enough to make me a mini), I might let her go crazy on it with fabric paint and stencils afterwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Studio Rat
Howdy Folks!

this goat tried to eat my camera...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006 07:31:05 AM »

I'm not a mommy or anything like that just yet(not even an aunty yet!)  But I am an art education major and for one weekend every semester we (the art ed folk) hold art classes  that are free and open to local kiddies... We do stuff like a puppet class, a digi photography class, a relief printing class, a clay class, a painting/collage class, and a furniture painting class... All of the kids love what they learn...  but I LOVE what they come up with even more...  Especially the furniture class... give a kid a drawer to paint or a box or even a rocking chair and they will show you something amazing every time!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My face and body art site!
http://www.picnpaint.com

A little thing that I like to call... my etsy shop ^_^
http://www.normalisboring.etsy.com

That blog thing that everyone tells me I need...
http://www.normalisboring.wordpress.com
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2006 04:54:50 AM »

Grin I would love a place to share crafty ideas for kids and showcase what they make Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2006 04:37:49 PM »

my daughter is a bit older than the kids you guys have been talking about, she will turn 12 in Janurary, she has also been attending a steiner school for the last two years, they have a big emphasis on hand work, last year (equivalent to grade 5-I think) they knit wollen socks, on four needles, doing a proper turned heel! I was impressed, an abstract design piece of cross-stich, they divided the working area in to quarters, then selected four colours and randomly stitched cloudy shapes onto the canvas in one quarter, they then had to mirror the design onto the other three corners, it turned out so well, the squares were then stitched into a cushion.
This year they are making proper sheepskin moccasins,

the point of all this is that she has grown up watching me craft and supplies are always available to her, it makes a huge difference, the school with its emphasis on work that is technically fairly difficult is great too as the kids produce work that most adults would be proud to produce and that gives a lot of confidence. So dont be afraid to have high expectations of older children, it can take a lot longer to complete stuff, but the pride they have in making something really good is excellent! (I will post pix if anyone is interested)

We have always enjoyed messy crafts like paper making, papier machie, fabric painted t-shirts are excellent, we did/do a lot of tie dying, using fibre-reactive dyes and dip dyeing techniques so its not just a lot of tying knots. We do t-shirts but also bedsheets and pillowslips.

It really helps to have them craft with friends, workshops as a day out with mom can be excellent, we did an excellent scrapbooking one and again the results are great!

Once thing I have always insisted on is that we very very seldom buy greetings cards, my daughter always makes them either on the computer using some of the photos she takes on her camera, or surfing the net for cute pictures (puppies and kittens are very in!) or more usually she draws a picture or uses some embellishments, its important I think for kids to get the idea that shop bought is not necessarily better.

Now that she is a little more interested in clothes, we also spend time embellishing plain clothes that we buy relatively cheaply (much easier on the pocket too!) we do things like paint t-shirts and tops, iron on ink-jet transfers, add pockets and flares to jeans in funky fabrics, patches on jeans are always in a different fabric (fur is easy to sew on for a patch and very forgiving of wobbly hand sewing, we have used bleach on rubber stamps to decorate blue jeans. I want her to learn not to be content to dress like every one else, and also not to just pay lots of cash for something cool.

She is a little scared of the sewing machine as yet so I need some good projects if any one can suggest any!

There is a great british series of programmes/books called art attack, probably available on DVD, this is the website, some great projects.  http://www.hitentertainment.com/artattack/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etheren
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2007 08:15:21 AM »

I have an idea.  What if we requested a board for Craftster Kids with a sub-board of crafts for kids and a sub-board or crafts with or by kids?  I am sure someone could come up with clever titles.

There is already support for a "for kids" board here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=43824.0

Maybe there is already a lot of cross-over between the two threads but I suggest we join forces.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2007 02:58:55 PM »

Yes! I second the motion to unite! Cheesy That is how the ATC board came about, they saw a large want for it Smiley If they see how badly we craftsters want this they will give us one Cheesy They have been talking about for sometime now. I know Leah is very busy, but we should keep the issue alive and on the forefront ! Cheesy If you look at the other thread the prob they ran into was create a kids board (which I am FOR!) or just create tags so items can be labeled kids. I want the board and subboards as Etheren suggested! Cheesy Come on guys! Help out! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Luna1375
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2007 04:00:20 PM »

I would also love a kids crafts board!  I teach crafts to kids at an after school program, ages 4 - 12. I've been doing it a couple of years now, and I have a couple of websites I steal ideas from. http://www.enchantedlearning.com is my favorite.  They even have a feature that lets you view crafts by materials.

My two favorite crafts are making things out of paper plates, and making things out of toilet paper tubes.  For the plates, you can make just about any kind of animal.  Cut the small circle out of the middle, that's your head.  Glue the head to another plate, which is your body.  Cut out feet, ears, tail, etc.  Color it with markers, crayons, paint, whatever. Or you can make a snake by cutting out the circle in the middle and using the other part, the ribbed edge part, and glue a bunch of those together.  Or glue a bunch of full plates together to make a giant catterpillar. So many possibilites.

For toilet paper tubes, cover them with construction paper, or even blank white paper that you can color.  Draw and cut out head, feet, arms of whatever person, animal, or creature you want to make and glue them on.  These can be just decorations or pencil cups.  Or, you can just make them pretty so they are a vase for paper flowers!

Paper flowers: tissue paper, pipe cleaners. You can cut tissue paper into circles, or you can go one step further and cut them into simple flower shapes.  Make a small loop in one end of the pipe cleaner.  Thread circles (or flowers) onto the pipe cleaner from the other end, so the loop is like the stopper keeping them from coming all the way up. Crinkle them up, then spread them out again, and you've got pretty paper flowers.

Anyway, those are just some basic ideas.  I've got tons.  Tons I tell ya!  The main thing is though, is to let the kids experiment and have fun, and let them know that perfection isn't the goal, having fun is the goal. 

We have a policy at my job that if a kid asks us "Do you like mine?" about a project, we respond "Do you like it?" because it's important for them to not rely on other people for their self-worth.  And if a kid does NOT like something he or she has made, we never try to minimize that feeling by telling them they did a good job if they don't feel that way.  Instead we ask "What do you not like about it?  Which part?  Do you think you can fix it/change it? What do you think would make it look better?" 

As for making examples, sometimes we do use the dreaded kits from Oriental Trading (I hate them, my boss loves them) and it's good to have a finished example with stuff like that. I usually try to give them options for things they can do to personalize the kit projects though, like glitter glue, sequins they can glue on, etc.  And honestly, sometimes it's not so bad if a kid wants to copy you, because even if they're not being creative, they are learning technique and building motor skills.  We just try to make sure they're not always copying something, that it's only once in a while.

One of the things we do to foster more creativity is every Friday we have Arts and Crafts Freeplay, where we'll put out a variety of supplies and the kids can make what they want.  Scissors, glue, paper, pompoms, craft sticks, leftover kit pieces, etc. It's awesome to see what they come up with.  Sometimes I'll even, ahem, borrow one of their ideas to use as a project for the whole class.

Anyway, sorry this was so long, but yes, we should have a kids' crafts forum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
roseye
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2007 05:51:46 AM »

Is there a board/forum/list here that has good ideas for crafts to do WITH your kids?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2007 07:43:30 AM »

Is there a board/forum/list here that has good ideas for crafts to do WITH your kids?

No, sadly there is not. Sad I would love to see A Children's board with childboards for clothing, and for crafting Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissyMafia
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2007 08:52:30 AM »

a kids's craft board would be AMAZING.
i work at a children's museum, teaching them how to make stuff- i teach the clay/ceramics class, as well as woodworking classes, AND we have "builder's challenges" which are simple craft projects for ages 2-10+, but my boss requires us to use tools [hammers, screwdrivers, hand drills, saws, files, etc]. SO any ideas i can get would be great. after a year of doing this, i'm running short of new projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must Have Wide Calf Boots for Spring 2014
Get a H&M Wedding Dress for $100
Hot Off the Red Carpet Prom Picks
Lawrence Zarian on Shapewear Dangers
How to Style a Casual School Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...