A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mom I Want to Craft Too - Sharing your kids crafts and craft ideas for kids  (Read 15096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005 07:58:32 PM »

My daughter does so many cool projects at her day care so here's another one.

The teacher cut out  a fish shape and then gave strips of aluminum, glitter and sequins to glue on. the next day they painted them. You can even put the glue on for them and then it will be a little less messy and the stripes will be pretty.

My daughter made a lei the other day and she's only 2 1/2. I'm teaching her how to hand sew as soon as I find some blunt needles. She really wants to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005 08:13:28 PM »

my 5 1/2 kiddo has loved construction paper, glue and beads, safety scissors that come in cool patterns and paint since she could reach for 'em. Now she designs these incredible people with outfits (they're still stick people, but they're decorative stick people!) and matching shoes.

I've taught her to embroider, some sewing basics, shrink plastic, beading... she has her own craft supplies and knows how to get into 'em. She loves sharpies especially...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
Mary Bell
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005 08:45:45 PM »

I recently made toilet paper mache with my two girls. Both girls could rip up the toilet paper - great fun for the one year old...Once it was made I put about an inch and a half of it in a circular bow lined with plastic wrap  and had them press their hands in it - I let it dry in the bowl until frim and then removed it and let it dry out completely...then I made a loop for the back and pressed a thin layer of mache on the back and let it dry - I primed it white so my daughter wouldn't know and then let my eldest paint her own handrpint - then my obnocious MiL repainted it cause she didn't like it...didn't get pics before the MiL repainted it and took it home Sad

it was  a fun project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005 01:54:45 PM »

LEAH PLEASE START THIS! I will be starting school in the fall for elementry ed and this board would be a huge help. I am also in charge of crafts at my church such as a giraffe bookmark, binochulars, little books, and more. I think this board would be very fun and it would probably bring back childhood memories for many. Please make this board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2005 01:56:35 PM »

You all should respond to the "Mom I want to craft board" It is exactly what you are talking about. Hopefully the more comments we get the better chance this will get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
Hermione
I require a popsicle every fifteen minutes; you obviously did not read the memo.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005 10:45:40 PM »

I gotta second this idea. Not only would it be a great place to find "kid safe" activities, but it would draw in a lot of people from the teaching/child care demographic. And the more the merrier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005 11:20:16 PM »

We have a 7 yo with learning disabilities and gross/fine motor issues and a 3 yo in my family and they've both just discovered how much fun fabric markers can be. I bought a couple of metres of pink and red cotton drill and let them go crazy, drawing whatever they liked, then I took the fabric home with me to make stuff.

For the girl, I've made a little dress and for each of them pillow cases and I've still loads of fabric left. They love that they 'made' them. I'm thinking of making some placemats for their grandparents as well. I think next time I'll take acrylic paints and fabric medium and see how they go with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooty
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2005 02:36:17 AM »

Already some really great ideas in here!!
I am always trying new craft projects with my 4 year old, but find I get better results when I have a visual image to work from. Would love to see some of these ideas- the coloured butterflies with baby oil is so simple but so effective- can anyone send in their pics?

We have recently made a crown for our dress-ups box-
Simply use a length of coloured cardboard and cut out a crown shape along the top. While the cardboard is still flat , stick on a length of aluminium foil and then stick on fancy stickers and maybe even some jewels. Once it has dried, fit the crown to your childs' head and fix with a stapler (that's the crown! not your childs' head!!)
My daughter has been wearing hers around the house for weeks, so much that it has suffered a bit of wear and tear.

I'll post a pic when we make a new one. This would be a great idea for a party as the only mess is a bit of glue, and all the kids would love to wear them. Just need a couple of adults on hand to help with cutting.
Let's keep posting and get some momentum happening... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
Mark Twain

www.kids-fun-and-games.com
Mary Bell
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2005 04:06:54 AM »

Here are a couple things I've discovered really help my daughter's latest craft obsessions "pop" visually.

Everytime I walk into Michael's, JoAnn's or the craft department at Wal-mart she picks up a wooden thing she wants to paint for someone (she is usually very specific about who it is for). The problem she is rather abstract in her design and loose in coverage so to help her color choices and patterns pop - I've taken to painting a base coat - white or black (black actually works better with most of her color choices)...then when she says she is done I keep it near my projects and whenever I get done varnishing something and find I have a bit extra varnish in the bottom of the cup I work on finishing her stuff so the colors shine a bit. So far she hasn't noticed my finishing touch but if she asks I will tell her it is just to protect her project so it doesn't get dirty or ruined by water...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spangle
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005 03:50:02 PM »

So, is there a kid's crafts board somewhere?

A couple of mine that I've done with my 5yo and 2.5yo daughters, plus loads of kids at our Playcentre and After School Arts group:

Wooden shapes: paint with a base colour, glue those sparkly fake gem things all over the place, embellish with glitter glue pen (or in our case, glitter fingernail polish, as that was all we had at the time!), sprinkles of beads, the more the better. They look fab!!!

Tempera paint on those cheap stretched canvas boards.  Put the board in a snug-fitting cardboard box, blob some paint on, roll marbles back and forwards over the canvas.

Stitching on hessian: staple a stiff cardboard "frame" around a piece of hessian, about A4/Letter size to make it easier to handle. Let them go where-ever they want.

Make window clings: use a sheet of OHP transparency. Then draw with Sharpie/Vivid markers. I possible (you know what it's like with pre-schoolers!) get them to use the black marker last so you don't end up with all muddy colours. Then cut the pictures out, add a drop of dishwashing detergent + a little water to the back and stick up on your window.

I love those concrete tiles too!

Cheers,
Miriam

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Man Creates Stunningly Realistic Diorama Of His 1950s-Era Home Town
Cover Girls: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Burlesque: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Fencing: The Sartorialist For AOL On
The Life of Man: 80 Faces in 40 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...