A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mom I Want to Craft Too - Sharing your kids crafts and craft ideas for kids  (Read 13106 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gothmom
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005 07:48:12 AM »

I'm a mom of a very crafty person - she's 14 now - I know younger than some craftsters out there! - and she's been making stuff with me the whole time!

I think that the very most important, yet hardest thing to do with kids and crafts and creativity is to let them do whatever they want, make their own choices etc. without injecting your own opinion.  It's hard not to chime in with your own ideas.  Also, if you do it first or even side by side with them, you can unintentionally intimidate a kid - make them think theirs isn't any good because it doesn't look like yours.  Yet, you have to be there for safety's sake sometimes. 

I found that crafts or art projects she brought home from school were generally not terribly creative - that cookie cutter mentality runs high in preschools.  As she got older and started attending classes with real art teachers, that wasn't necessarily the case.

Now I ask her opinion on things because when she makes something, it usually sells before any of my stuff does!  LOL!

Gothmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mary Bell
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005 04:01:53 AM »

I think that the very most important, yet hardest thing to do with kids and crafts and creativity is to let them do whatever they want, make their own choices etc. without injecting your own opinion.  It's hard not to chime in with your own ideas.  Also, if you do it first or even side by side with them, you can unintentionally intimidate a kid - make them think theirs isn't any good because it doesn't look like yours.  Yet, you have to be there for safety's sake sometimes. 

I found that crafts or art projects she brought home from school were generally not terribly creative - that cookie cutter mentality runs high in preschools. 

Gothmom

I think you are totally right which is why I try to avoid pre-packaged kits- I even ban coloring books except when we are in public places and I need her distracted...then coloring books are okay as I am not asked to help her so much.

I hate it when adults push their ideas onto a child's crafts...I usually just bite my tongue and smile when my in-laws were around but when my daughter (she was just barely three at the time) showed them something she drew and they projected what they thought it was onto the drawing, I had to rant...let her tell you - what do you know about what she is thinking, blah, blah, blah...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meganball
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005 08:16:19 PM »

Awesome idea.  I teach preschool (two and three year olds).  Off the top of my head...next week we are learning about veggies, and we will cut potato halves to make stamps, as well as make edible caterpillars out of carrot slices, ranch dressing "glue," and ramen noodle legs.  I am tired and can't remember what else...but great thread idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2005 08:26:51 PM »

*holds up her hand* I'm a nanny and always neat more ideas for little ones
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
kbug
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005 07:36:59 PM »

I'm a kindergarten teacher, and I am always looking for new ideas.  I like to share what we do too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005 07:45:48 PM »

I do aftercare and it can be so hard to try and entertain ages 3-12 in the one group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005 08:49:35 PM »

Great thread idea!  I have problems finding good project ideas for my 9yo brother.  He has an interest, but he also has a *very* short attention span and a need to get to his goal as quickly as he possibly can without too much creative deviation.  Right now I'm getting a short enough book for him to alter, since he's seen my books and wants to do one, too.  But in general, it's so hard to come up with project ideas that will not only keep his attention and keep him busy, but give him something he can be proud of afterwards, use (I've done picture frames with him, but he can only do so many before he gets bored) and give him an opportunity to *want* to think creatively.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2005 01:55:19 AM »

My daughter made a fun project at daycare- binoculars. Two toilet paper rolls painted and then glued together. 2 holes punched through the side for a strap and thats it. She took them to the park and all the kids were fascinated by them.

other things- using handprint cutouts and making butterfies out of them, using paper plates to paint yellow and make sunflowers and putting peanut butter and seeds on toilet paper rolls to make bird feeders.

My daughter is 2 1/2 so these are good for younger ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2005 04:26:29 AM »

Wink   I'm lloving ths thread. I keep a big rubrmaid tote in my craft room & fill it with odds & ends (fabric, & felt scraps, button, yarn, tp & paper towel rolls,egg cartons, bit of colorful junk mail, etc Then add construction paper, glue sticks & stuff from the $ store... I bring it out when my 9 yr old neice & 5 yre lil freind are here.
Last week they made bongos with yogurt containers (beads inside so they could shake them too) & decotated them with sequins.

They've also made braceltes & necklaces with beads & yarn. Finger croched hair ties with yarn,lil crazy critters with pom poms, goggly eyes, plastic paper clips.    =)   I just spread a cheap table cloth n the floor & let them go at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005 07:42:56 PM »

We definetely need this idea. It would be great not only for moms and dads but babysitters, teachers, and anyone around children. It is important to start crafting at a young age b/c we want all those kids to grow up and be future craftsters.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Program by Suzanne Young
The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper
Valerie Harper Talks About Her Audiobook I, Rhoda
Manology Cover Shoot With Tyrese and Rev Run
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...